a mill\drill query

hi all , ive recently bought a union pillar drill from a front garde
sale locally to me with the intention of adding a compound table an
fine feed for the quill . now today ive seen a union mill on ebay
looking at the photos im unsure if this is a conversion or factory mad
? my question is can anyone point me to a drawing online of a quill fin
feed or make some suggestions how i could do it ? preferably using
myford dial
--
willowkevi
willowkevin's Profile:

willowkevin
no , its offered for £99 ! i reckon i need a worm and wheel , i'
struggling with the maths tho ! if i use a dial off a myford (is th feedscrew 20tpi ?) then with a 40 tooth wormwheel , would that give m movement in half thou increments
-- willowkevi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:
this thread:
willowkevin
[On a quill feed for a mill/drill]
Possibly, but it would be pure luck if it did! The quill is probably operated by a rack and pinion. You need to find out the pitch of this first before thinking about any worm and wheel.
Attach a disk of something to the quill feed, with a hole in it and a detent that falls into the hole. Set up your DTI or similar onto the nose of the quill/chuck jaw. Turn the disk one full turn so the detent pin re-engages its hole. Read off quill travel. Your worm and wheel will need to divide this into a sensible number.
Alternatively, attach a digital caliper directly between the quill and the body, use any convenient worm and wheel, with an ungraduated handwheel and read off the movement directly from the display.
HTH
Reply to
John Montrose
thanks for that ,i fogot all about the rack and pinion
this thread:
willowkevin

Site Timeline