back again

hello im back online after a major crash with the PC. I have lost the lot, all address, photos, docs and worse of all I have lost 5 years of web favourites. my fault I guess I should have backed up more often but the usual why of 'it wont happen to me' got in the way.

if anyone has the odd web url that they would like to share then please think of me, not junk but model engineering things. if some one has a link to a self build foundry then I would be happy as I lost all mine as I was just getting the bits together to make one. only for alu casting for making lead fishing weights.

also if anyone knows of a smallish lath forsale then im in the need for one. a boxford aud or suchlike. I know very little about them as I have only used my Derbyshire 750a.

thanks gents kind regards Phil.

Reply to
Phil

Get a copy of Norton Ghost and make regular back ups

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Blimey, I hope you weren't hurt. Maybe PCs should be fitted with airbags !

Personally I find backing up a good idea.....but too much trouble. As hard disks are cheap as chips I prefer to have a second disk and do a disk to disk copy from time to time (using the antique command xcopy many times in a command file). At least you don't lose data if you have a disk crash.

Favourites are more tricky. Assuming you are running a recent version of Internet Explorer then under File / Import and Export you will find you can export your favourites to a file. Then you can make sure it is backed up by the same command file that backs up all your other sensitive files.

Of course this doesn't save you from the PC being nicked, or the house burned down. But it is such an easy way to avoid the tears due to a disk crash, that I like it (its cheap and simple)... but I still don't do it as often as I should.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

[...]

Paragon's excellent Drive Backup was a freebie on a recent PCPlus magazine coverdisk...might even still be on sale. Always worth keeping an eye on such sources...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I moved to Norton Ghost as it produces a bootable CD or DVD so no need to reload the operating system before you recover things. I can recreate my system in about 15 minutes. As when it dumps it is not running Windoze all files can be backed up without the problem of open files.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Errrm . . . the OP asked for a few tasty URLs. He got a load of advice on backups (which he probably didn't need, as he currently has nowt to back up!) Does nobody have a few URLs??

Reply to
John Nice

HEHE, thanks John, I have the pc working again and im going to put a HDD caddy along side I think.

question. what is a Denford Viceroy Screwcutting Lathe like I have a chance of one for under £300.

Reply to
Phil

Phil

Hi, nice to see you back. I thought you might have had an answer to your question from someone who uses a Viceroy by now but perhaps they are all asleep in the sun!!

I'm no expert on these but have looked at some when I was considering moving up from my Myford speed 10. If it is a series 1, they are based on the early Boxford with various improvements which included a much heavier bed and larger vee ways. They also had a seperate feed shaft and a very compact underdrive system. They were very well made and like the Boxford seemed to be sold mainly into the education market. I won't repeat the information available here:

as it gives a good background to the machine.

As with the Boxford there are a vast range of machines ranging from the very simple to the more sophisticated. In my opinion the price you mentioned would range from being too much for a worn and very basic "training" version to being very attractive for a good condition machine with gearbox etc. I'm afraid it's another case of having a look and ensuring what you are being offered. It is not the most popular lathe and that resulted in it being good value for money when I was looking 5 years ago, however although I looked at a fair number I never saw a "good" one and ended up looking at others. I also seem to remember that the underdrive system was very tight and changing a 3 phase machine to 1 phase might not be straight forward, worth checking if it has been converted that it has a reasonable amout of power 3/4hp perhaps. I think this was also the case with the later series 2 machine which, for a good specification lathe, apparently does not go for high prices.

With fewer of these machines about the accessories might be more difficult, I'm just guessing there as I've not looked but it would be the sort of thing I would check before spending my money. As I said with the Boxford I would be careful about buying a very basic lathe even if it is cheap. Although at the moment you said your needs are fairly basic, if my own experience is anything to go by, as your skills with it develop you will certainly want a more capable machine. I would personally not consider a lathe for general work that did not have power feed and threadcutting capability. Change gears are fine and power cross feed is an advantage but not a necessity. If you are lucky enough to have found a little used and reasonably well specified single phase Viceroy I think you would find it a fine machine.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Absolutely unedited list accummulated over last couple of years - you can remove the junk ! Hope it helps a bit.

?id=340

Seymour Swarf

There's a reasonable selection at

on "Links to useful sites"