Small bargin and a request for help

Hi all,

Managed to get a small bargin on the dread ebay the other day - a teeny mechanical hacksaw for 99p, with a 0.125hp 240v motor - not mounted of course.

This thing uses shortened normal hacksaw blades, it's that small. Runs way too fast with a 1400rpm motor, going to have to rig up a countershaft.

What is the method of calculating the required pulley sizes for a countershaft? I'm guessing at a speed of say 30 strokes per min. for the blade, how do I get that back to the 1425 of the motor?

Another thing from the same seller was an old fashioned hand-cranked drill press. A couple of times I've used a hand drill to make small holes in delicate parts, but that leaves the problem of 'wandering holes' - not such a prob with a press, and I can go as slow as I like.

The only part that's missing is the top part of the down feed ratchet - that is, the part that pushes the toothed wheel around. Does anyone have a scrap machine lying around, or am I best to fabricate the part from pictures?

Cheers,

Ed

Reply to
zedbert

ratchet -

Why not put a 3 phase motor on it and run through an inverter, then you can choose the speed that you want. Small inverters are very cheap even on eBay !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That would be 1425 / 30 = 47.5. Nothing that makes sense in a single stage. But if you want, the pulley's diameter should have a relation of

1 to 47.5. For example 1" diameter and 47.5" diameter. Now you know why it is better to make that with two stages. If we try it with two equal reductions, they would have to be about 6.9 to 1. or 1" and 6.9" or 2" and 13.8".

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

(Driver / Driven) x input speed = output speed, with the driver & driven being the diameter of the pulleys (or number of teeth on gears). I'm too hot & bothered to work all the options out, but you might need a compound intermediate to slow it down enough.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Does anyone

I just put one on ebay

Progress No1 pillar drill Item number: 120010848031

Reply to
Nospam

if you have a drill press like this ..hope these pics are of use

all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

ed, could you post a pic of the hacksaw? i would be very interested t

see it,,thanks.

bil

-- blueswar

----------------------------------------------------------------------- blueswarf's Profile:

this thread:

blueswarf

Cheers for all the replies!

Andrew: I gave away all my little 3phase motors to people on here/homeworkshop. Doh!

Nick & Peter: thanks, I need to get my thinking-brain out of the cupboard and do some maths.

Mark: that's the very thing! Ace pics, thank you. I shall be zooming in on them!

Bill: have a look at

-3 pics of the saw and one of the drill.

There is a 300mm ruler for scale > ed, could you post a pic of the hacksaw? i would be very interested to

Reply to
zedbert

Ed,

The Hand drill looks familiar, I have a very similar one, I did wonder if it was some sort of tapping machine. When I get chance I will take a picture for you.

Dave P

Reply to
Dave

I know this thread's a bit old now, but I just noticed it and thought I'd reply.

To me 30 strokes a minute sounds rather slow for a small machine like this. My big Q & S power hacksaw has two speeds: 100 and 150 strokes per minute, and it takes 16 inch blades. What makes your machine seem like it's running way too fast?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
Nospam

Yes, I tend to agree with that comment. I've done over 600 transactions on ebay (mostly as a buyer) and the vast majority have worked out smoothly and been satisfactory. I can only bring one to mind that was a problem. I think that the great thing about eBay is that you can find things that otherwise would be too obscure to locate, particularly bits of old machine tools. I have also met a considerable number of the 'other side' to the transaction, and without exception the ones I have met have been decent folk.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Nospam

Well, the 'dread' bit was a bit of a throw-away line really, although I have seen & heard some odd & downright nasty things about ebay. Probably a function of too many people and a lot of profit chasing, from the owners and some sellers.

Chris, I thought the recommended speed for cutting with a hack-saw was

60 strokes per minute, so that was what I was aiming at. My big Rapidor donkey saw certainly runs very slowly. If yours runs at 100-150, that's a much easier target to aim for, thanks!

I rigged it (the small saw) up to test with a 1425rpm motor, so it was running in the hundreds of strokes per minute, just far too fast for such a tiny blade.

I'm in the process of acquiring a car wind-screen wiper motor, which will run much slower & be much smaller. I'll see if I can get that to run the saw at 150rpm with out a counter shaft.

Cheers all,

Ed

Nospam wrote:

Reply to
zedbert

I searched online and found mention of a Gingery hacksaw which runs at

60 strokes per minute:

Instinctively I expected smaller machines to run faster, but it looks like this may not be the case. I guess a faster machine needs to be stiffer, and the Q & S machine is very stiff (weighs 430 kg if I recall correctly).

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy