Made a "drill press table counterweight"

My drill press table does not move by means of gears. I have to release the locking handle and then lift it by hand. That was not very
pleasant. The table would basically start sliding down on the colums.
So I made a counterweight, by means of a double sheave "rope block" ("pulley block"). Now the table is very easy to move by hand.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Powermatic-1150-Drill-Press/Counterweight/
Great idea! Nice picture.

Thanks Wayne... It sure helps... Lifting the table is now easier that lowering it, but even lowering it is trivial.

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:07:40 -0600, Ignoramus15713

One should note..that many drill press manufactures do similar, but use a counterweight that hangs down the center of the column....inside the pipe.
Gunner
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham

Gunner, that's a great idea. Thanks a lot. I might change this one day...
Hey Iggy,
Good idea! No sure why you didn't hook to the actual table instead of the vise mount, but hey.....
More concerned about the lift line. If that is the permanent stuff shown in the pix, and if it is what I think it is, it will be damaged or broken by a hot chip. I'd change it to a light chain, albeit at somewhat greater expense.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:07:40 -0600, Ignoramus15713

Couple reasons, one is that the screw had to be horizontal, and second, I did not want to drill the table for experimental purposes.

I can always use wire rope, McMaster has some by the foot, very cheaply. 1/3 inch thick or so.