Sharpening Drill Bits

Does anyone have experience with the Drill Doctor? Does it really work well? What is the best place to buy one or where can I get a good tool to
sharpen my bits?
Also, does anyone have advice on where to get drill bits for drilling into 1/4" mild steel? Even with reduced speed and constant lube, my bits are dull after only a few holes. Cobalt seems to work better but still doesn't last long. Anyone know where to get carbide bits for drilling into steel?
Thanks, Brendan
Brendon, The Drill Doctor will work fine is the hands of a tool person, but like most things, it is not a substitute for skill. Your problem is probably tool abuse and no machine will fix that. Normal HSS will drill hundreds of holes in mild steel and still have an edge. I obviously am not where you are, so there is no way that I know for sure, but I think you are spinning the drill far too fast. Slow down your speed, try to keep an even pressure and angle on the drill, use enough pressure to generate a continuous flow of chips, feel the tool cutting, listen to the noise, use cutting oil and don't let the drill or the work get hot. Steve

What does sharpen small bits well?
I drill safety wire holes in DIN 10.9 Metric bolts (better than SAE Grade 8) and I only get 10 or so holes per carbide drill bit, 3/32 if remember correctly using cutting fluid.
I use the above mentioned bolts in constructing the airplane engine in the link below.
P.S. Abrasha, I wish I had your precision machining talents when I was working on "gundrilling" two 6" x 1/8" Angle of Attack probe for measuring angle the wing is at to prevent a stall. I had to get a machinist from Allied Signal to give me a hand. Bummer when you can't do it all yourself.
Bart
--
Bart D. Hull
snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com