Sharpening Drill Bits

Does anyone have experience with the Drill Doctor? Does it really work well? What is the best place to buy one or where can I get a good tool to sharpen my bits?

Also, does anyone have advice on where to get drill bits for drilling into

1/4" mild steel? Even with reduced speed and constant lube, my bits are dull after only a few holes. Cobalt seems to work better but still doesn't last long. Anyone know where to get carbide bits for drilling into steel?

Thanks, Brendan

Reply to
Brendan Jones

Steve Lusardi

Ix?UÁN1 Dïù?9õ?v%z+UQQ/å8z7f?Æ%ñöïñR?m?ñ¼?2^%sE+¢¼sûxØLú?}ÿËIL@y1!}1øûÊ%r-j???L:ª?ç??3æÊ«Q)N?§ ÞW??¢Iù0áT?ôì?~Í?6 ^(%ç×{?-Êpv2û1/b?0gÏÛ~û¸ù?Å7?tî¾MTXTJËoò]ÛþW?9C¡ÈÕë®ï[kÝNÝ(÷]Cká

Reply to
Abrasha

What does sharpen small bits well?

I drill safety wire holes in DIN 10.9 Metric bolts (better than SAE Grade 8) and I only get 10 or so holes per carbide drill bit, 3/32 if remember correctly using cutting fluid.

I use the above mentioned bolts in constructing the airplane engine in the link below.

P.S. Abrasha, I wish I had your precision machining talents when I was working on "gundrilling" two 6" x 1/8" Angle of Attack probe for measuring angle the wing is at to prevent a stall. I had to get a machinist from Allied Signal to give me a hand. Bummer when you can't do it all yourself.

Bart

Reply to
Bart D. Hull