Rhenium Ring

I have ~10 grams of Rhenium I'd like to have turned into a ring band. The element is in 3, 1 inch-long pieces in wire form. Given it's high melting point (>3000C), who might be capable and willing to do this work?

Any advice/admonitions for choosing this metal?

Reply to
JTaverner

Good luck!

While there is probably someone out there that can do it.... That's over a thousand deg C hotter than platinum.

I'd suggest finding a person that has some (or a lot of ) experience with platinum and discussing your needs with them. Perhaps the Rhenium can be worked in the wire form, and integrated into a ring design of another metal, either as a cast-in part or soldered/welded in.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I'd start by asking someone who works Platinum.

Reply to
Carl West

I'd be willing to give it a shot, if you are willing to pay for it. It sounds like a job for a laser welder. But give me a call, and we can talk about it.

Three, one inch long pieces of wire may not be enough depending on the size and thickness of the band you want.

Abrasha

Abrasha

I have quite a bit of experience working with Platinum.

Reply to
Abrasha

A ring blank with a length of 50 mm, a thickness of 2 mm, and a width of 5 mm, would yield a ring with a size of about 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 (American size). That's a tiny size. About the size of a 5 year old child.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Still not right, because you assume he has a blank strip of 5 x 1 x 100 mm, which is not the case. He has 3 pieces of rod of 1" in length with an diameter of .1", and some sheet. Not a clean piece of sheet as you assume. Abrasha

Abrasha

I have worked with rhenium for 13 years now . Please contact me if your intersted.

It will make a rare ring but it is also expensive to machine. What size would you want ? Knowing that it can't be resized .

Reply to
Metal man