Delta DP350 Power Switch - Small Saga

I bought a Delta DP350 drill press in April 2005, and have used it ever since. A few weeks ago, the switch failed, and one could no longer turn
the drill press on. The problem was mechanical and abrupt - something in the switch broke.
Delta wants almost $40 for a new switch, which caused a small revolt.
For the record, the old switch is a Kedu model HY52 E195428 02A0428, 20/12 amp 125/150 Vac. No motor HP rating is given on the switch.
With a little research, I was able to find a suitable and mechanically compatible switch for $3.20. Same current ratings, but also has a 3/4 HP motor rating.
The new switch (a Carling model RGSCC201-R-B-B-E from Allied Electronics (stock number 683-5523)) was installed yesterday and works just fine.
I bought two switches, and have stored the second switch in a ziplock bag stored in a cavity within the drill press.
The panel cutout which held the old switch is slightly too long for the new switch, even though Carling claims the same size cutout, but it was close enough.
Joe Gwinn

Good for you! And when the new switch wears out, you will not be able to find where you put the second switch. Or, the next owner will discover the bag and switch when he goes to replace the old switch. You just can't win!
Paul
In article

Well, the chosen cavity is behind the operational switch, so there is hope. And I do the put-the-spares-in-the-machine maneuver often enough that I'll probably think of it. It's more likely to work than to remember which box I put it in, five or ten years later.
I hope that this switch lasts longer than 5 years of light duty that killed the old switch. The new switch is mechanically simpler (a rocker) than the old switch (push green for on, push red for off).
Future owners are on their own.
Joe Gwinn

Well, there ya go.
Outstanding. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried using a foot pedal as a switch for a drill press.
Ignoramus18829 wrote:

Duh.

Two of my drill presses have foot controls. They're Dumont drills with Jacobs #0 taper chucks. Since they have universal AC/DC motors, a simple trigger switch from a variable speed drill will easily carry the currents of the motors.
A similar setup could be constructed for most drill presses, with a foot switch to act as just a Start/Stop switch for a relay/contactor to run the motor. Typical, inexpensive foot switches aren't rated for high currents that a full-sized shop drill press motor would require, but they can easily handle the contactor coil's voltage and current.
Heavy duty indsustrial-rated machine control foot switches are generally expensive, and nearly always have a guard covering the switch pedal to prevent accidental activation of a machine.
The guard is a sensible feature for any foot switch, and especially if children or pets frequent the machine area. A safety lockout switch located on the machine could prevent unanticipated surprises or injuries.
If the drill press had a DC motor, it wouldn't be too difficult to put together a variable speed foot control for some particular purpose.. polishing, maybe.
An AC variable speed control could probably be constructed without too much difficulty using a VFD for a 3-phase motor and a foot switch.
--
WB
metalworking projects

I only do small stuff so my machines are quite small. 3 of them,, the bench grinder the small pedastal drill, and the scroll saw are all on the one plug board with the foot switch on the input. Turn on which ever machine you want, kick the switch a bit closer and away you go.
John G.
Ignoramus18829 wrote:

Mine was hard wired to the motor switch about 10 years ago. I is a commercial grade from some load of surplaus i picked up, long ago. There were two mounted on a single base plate so i cut the plate in half and trimmed it to fit each footswitch
These are already wired to just plug in:
Momentary Power Foot Switch $9.99 <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber619> Manual: http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/96000-96999/96619.pdf
Power Maintained Foot Switch $12.99 <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber618> Manual: http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/96000-96999/96618.pdf

Ahhh, crap. The drills are Dumore (not Dumont).
Sensitive drills such as the Series 16 http://www.dumorecorp.com/drills.htm#sd
and a much older version of the same model designated Type PD

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:43:21 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus18829

Excellent question, Ig. I'd love floor-actuated switching for a few tools. Do you prefer momentary or hard-switched? I think I'd like the option for both.
--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Harbor Freight has both types.

I prefer momentary, personally. The pedal that would hold, seems more dangerous than useful.
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:18:26 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus7950

Since 99.9% of switches up top are not momentary, I don't see how you could consider a foot switch more dangerous. It's the norm for all power tools except handheld VSR drill motors.
--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

If something happens, you would need to look for a switch and find it with your foot etc. I do not really see the point of non-momemntary foot switches.
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 21:50:47 -0500, Ignoramus7950

And hands are much more instinct driven than feet when it comes to something other than balance. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 00:08:32 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
I said:

Then Ig said:

I dunno, Ger. I seem to instinctively tapdance around when something goes wrong in the shop. Doesn't everyone? <snort>
--
The only reason I would take up exercising is
so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have both switches on my drill press. The original one on the drill press is a rocker switch that is connected in series with the hard wired momentary foot switch. I added it about 10 years ago so I would have another free hand for some delicate work. It allows me to have the tip of the drill in contact with the workpiece when I start the motor. if something goes wrong, either switch will stop the motor.

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:23:10 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Tell the truth, I haven't hooked up my new foot switch yet - been too busy straightening the crank shaft on a 4 HP B&S quatro that got dragged home, so I could bag leaves from four large maple trees plus a few smaller Misc. species and whatever are delivered by the breezes, and I haven't had that many holes to produce. Last time I used a foot switch was in the shop at the airport where I earned free access to equipment and supplies. Gerry :-)} London, Canada