short movie with macro closeups: anybody recognize this manufacturers SYMBOL? (true metalworking)

I have this weird symbol on my mig feed rolls (and on the feed roll gears, too, for that matter). I'd sure like to know what COMPANY this symbol is associated with...

seeing as the company that made my welder 'bought the farm'...no parts available 'through normal channels' (making it neccessary to tune in 'bizarro-world' channel system on my short-wave set)

many thanks, you FINE guys :-)

Reply to
dave

"Asked and answered" 10/21 (Wednesday). According to David Courtney, Arc-products supports Airco. That's a normal channel. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I saw the video showing the wire feed parts, and you don't need to find any parts if you just use some .035" or .045" wire. The parts definitely look to be in good condition, barely used.

Get a keyed sprocket hub at TSC Tractor Supply Co, or other source, which fits a 3/8" shaft. Chuck the hub (or a 3/8" shaft) in a lathe, and turn the hub to the same diameter and width as the existing part, then cut one groove for .025" and one for .030".

The store sprocket hub won't be hardened, so if you're worried about plain steel feed part wearing out in the next 5 years (not likely), just make 2 parts.

Finding the drive part manufacturer isn't likely going to do you any good, since they finished that parts production run a long time ago. That shop/company may not even be in business anymore. It looked as though there was a 1986 date code on the drive motor case.

I know that the MIG feed assemblies have changed significantly over the years because I own an older Solar/Century, and a newer Hobart, and there is no resemblance in the feed assembly parts.

You'll also need to get a MIG gun cable assembly if it's missing (all I saw was the ground lead), and you'll probably need to machine the end fitting to fit into the wire feed assembly. You might want to also machine the part for a gas fitting, if desired/required.

Additionally, you'll need the multi-pin plug for the trigger connector, and maybe the feed speed control if that was on the original gun cable assembly. (I didn't really study the front panel of the machine).

You'll also need some contact tips for the .030" wire and .025" too, if you use it. Those are easy to make, too.

FWIW, changing over from the .035/.045" wire to .025/.030" will likely require swapping the gun cable assembly liner for wire size changes.

The last thing you'll be needing is some luck, as in; lucky if the machine produces a stable arc.

You would be wise to obtain a manual with parts list before even starting with a project like this, so you would at least have some reference part numbers and descriptions to search for. I dunno where you'd be able to find a manual, eBay maybe.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Dave..did you ever call Arco Welding supply in California like I suggested?

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

reply to ALL you guys :-)

Bob Engelhardt said: >Good luck. thanks bob ============ Wild_Bill said: > I saw the video showing the wire feed parts, and you don't need to find any > parts if you just use some .035" or .045" wire. > The parts definitely look to be in good condition, barely used. thanks bill. I actually have about nine dip-pak welder related vieos 'up' on youtube now... >

great idea, and I actually thought of it myself, earlier. and of, alternately, using a lovejoy coupling half, or a spur gear. *however*, the main stumbling block with all those items is the setscrew bore being .. "right where I don't need one". I'm actually also watching 3/32nds keyway broaches, collars, and .375 reamers, now, on ebay...and craigs...etc.

righto, but, then again, maybe not. "bubba can always hope", or he also hopes someone here might KNOW of, perhaps, another MIG that uses 'simple keyed bore' mig feed rolls that ride on a .375 shaft...

I'm not 'style or year' picky; I'd use ANY feed roll from ANY maker that'd fit my shaft (turning the OD's is far less hassles than reaming and broaching...)

I have it all, bill (less the extra feed rolls I'd like to obtain). mig gun, front to back and end to end, connectors, cables, owners and parts manuals, argon regulator and flowball thing, hoses, all of it. see it here (still pix):

or on youtube "dip-pak mig", nine hits, ALL my movies:
- dip-pak mig

actually, I also bought a new bernard outer nozzle, and about twelve tips (longer, real bernard, 'right sized' for my new 030 batch of wire, on ebay, just after buying the welder)

actually, for my bernard, they're cheaper and easier to buy NEW than try to make. they 'screw into' the diffuser by an eccentric-twist; they're a 'quarter-turn' deal.... >

right :-) I'm just about to order a new 030 liner, and some spare outer nozzles, and a few spare tips too. found a place that sells genuine Bernard stuff for LESS than the big online "welding cloneware" dealers sell their "crude equivs" for...

um, yeah. seller assured me it does. and he DID make good on a bum reel of wire he sent me (same seller, same day, different purchase)-sent me the correct and NEW spool. however, I recently discovered my 'new' welders' wire spool HUB brake is "far more draggy" from about 7 to 8 o'clock position than it is elsewhere when turning it by hand - then found (by chance) a slightly angled drive spool stud (and related previous bad repair, directly behind the same stud), causing the 'very uneven spooldrag' problem...(see the movies I posted about it - 'it gets a bit involved').

the short version is: sometime in the past the big reel center stud fell out, and got brazed back in, but not exactly straight and 90 degrees. it's angled downward and forward a bit...makes the brake drag quite uneven. that, I'm sure, will cause me some grief in the 'wirefeed smoothness' arena, so, I'm looking into cures for it now...namely, either remaking the spool-stud mount 'complete', or changing what's there for the better, and reinforcing it substantially)

thanks bill :-)

gunner said (paraphrased) >did you call those guys in southern CA I told you about?

not yet, sir, but I intend to FIRST thing monday morning :-)

so *THANKS* again gunner, wild bill, bob, and all you guys :-)

Reply to
dave