Does Anybody Recognize this Collet?

I opened up the closer on my Yuasa Speeder this morning for the first time and found this. I think the guy I bought it from might have mentioned this, but I don't recall. The broken part looks similar to an AccuraFlex collet. I have some larger ones for one of my collet chucks. It doesn't look exactly the same (size not withstanding) though.

Anybody know what collet that is? Is it a Yuasa only part?

It still works to clamp the collet/holder that actually holds the end mill, but it would be nice to have one that isn't broken.

Picture Files:

Smaller Picture Files:

Bob La Londe

Upon further research (looking at pictures on-line) I begin to think it is not an AF collet. The AF collets appear to have a tapered shoulder, and this has a square shoulder.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob..without measurements..its hard to tell..but this may be of help to you.

Hardinge makes every collet in the world you can think off..Im sure you can find the part and type number/designation

Reply to
Gunner Asch

let me know, I have the same speeder and collets, haven't needed to find another (yet)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hardinge can be good for identifying a collet. However, their prices are (choke) a little rich. The obsolete B3 collets for my old Bridgeport M head (not in service yet) are about $175 ea. Luckily, I was able to get a used handful a while back.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

If not..take some dimensions and Ill see what I can pull up. I know I have collets of that type..but a smaller family.

They are often found in milling machine tool holders.

I want to say its an AF type (Acura Flex) but they could also be a TG type

Im sure some commercial machinist will pull the name up right quick after they all check in.

But this will give you some idea of what to look for in the Hardinge book.

They should also be readily available on Ebay.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Oh Crom..one NEVER buys collets from Hardinge unless you are in the business and can bill it to the client. But their paperwork is pretty good for reviewing

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

PrecisionmachinisT

I didn't look very close at your pics, just thought I'd toss that out....you can probably find dimensions if you poke around.

Also, pretty much everybidy is familiar with the tg100 collets but there is also smaller true grip series that's known as tg75 and tg50...that said, Yuasa probably would not have used an Erickson collet nose so I'm leaning heavily towards the SK.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

PrecisionmachinisT

message

message

I would suggest you make an attempt at contacting Yuasa as well.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Looks like a lot like a TG or SK collet.

A quick check with a caliper shows an overall length of about 1.09 (apx) inches long, and a maximum diameter of about .630 (apx) inches at the shoulder.

I really need a 3/8 (.375) collet, as its used to hold smaller straight collets (measure .370 to .372 in this application, but if you don't want to much money for them I'ld buy some smaller ones as well.

Here is the picture location again:

Picture Files:

Smaller Picture Files:

Bob La Londe

I forwarded the photos and the information to a number of my cohorts..and got a response (emailed to you) from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

He indicated he has a box of such collets

either email him or call him at 949-294-2171

Known to many here as Leigh Knudson at MarMachine

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks. I just dropped him an email, and I'll give him a call during the week if he doesn't get my email.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Jervelcomen!

Gunner