Sell or Trade Rockwell 17" drill press - old and good

I have a nice older Rockwell-Delta (Pittsburgh era) 17" drill press that needs a new home. I have decided to get rid of anything that is just too big for me to move by myself. This wonderful beast goes at about 450 lbs, and even taken down into pieces, the head and motor are more than I can lug around. It is a great tool, with a geared standard 11 x 12 table (with no drill marks), 5 speeds, 3/4 hp rockwell motor (currently 115 v, but can be switched to 230 v), and the capacity to use a foot-powered quill drive. You can find a lot of information on this drill press from the old catalog listing at

and opening the drill press section. This is a model 17 with the standard table, 1/2" chuck, and

3/4 hp motor. The quill (driven by a quadrant, not the usual simple rack) seems to be fine, and all of the gears and teeth are in fine shape - nothing cracked or broken. This is the version with a second bearing support at the top of the quill - nice feature on a heavy duty tool like this. I really don't want to crate and ship it - I am near Annapolis, MD, and could do delivery or pickup in the Baltimore - Washington, DC area - maybe longer distance.

I should have some pictures Tuesday night, and will get them posted as soon as possible. I am more interested in trading for nice vintage woodworking equipment, including a bench top drill press. We are in the process of building a new house, and I have reached an agreement with SWMBO that I can have a shop in the new house (my shop is going to have most of our stuff stored in it) while I do the cabinets and interior finish as long as it is not too big. To that end I currently have a 9" Rockwell table saw, a 6" General Jointer, an Inca bandsaw, and a nice Atlas drill press - only piece of modern equipment is a Delta 560 planer which I actually like a lot (I take it outside to use it, much less dust).

Thanks for looking,

Stephen Poe

Reply to
Spoefish

GACK!!!!!!!!!! East coast...sigh..snivel..

Gunner

"The Democratic Party is the party of this popular corruption. The heart of the Democratic Party and its activist core is made up of government unions, government dependent professions (teachers, social workers, civil servants); special interest and special benefits groups (abortion rights, is a good example) that feed off the government trough; and ethnic constituencies, African Americans being the most prominent, who are disproportionately invested in government jobs and in programs that government provides.

" The Democratic Party credo is 'Take as much of the people's money as politically feasible, and use that money to buy as many of the people's votes as possible'. Tax cuts are a threat to this Democratic agenda. Consequently, Democrats loathe and despise them." -Semi-reformed Leftist David Horowitz

Reply to
Gunner

I was startin' to dool, till I read Annapolis.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

If I felt like a road trip I might go down there and see some friends, but stuff's knee-deep around here. Haven't even finished my Sprunger drill press restoration yet.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Ya had me going until I saw the word vice ... With the dogs.

Got more before they get hurt? 100 + yrs. and you waisted it. Your too far , but I could use one like you broke for a 16".

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Heck, it looked like plain steel. The other one I have was, and had been bent around quite a bit by the previous owner. You'll be happy to know the 1891 dog welded up very nicely. That's what we call a learning experience. These were both 2" two-part clamping dogs, and I'm keeping them.

All the others I have are cast bent-tail dogs. From 3/4" to 2", very heavily built. A little rusty but that'll clean off. Want any of these? I'm going to eBay them soon.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

2" is getting close , your too far. I'll find something on the left coast.

Next time just say it was a plain ole dog.

Reply to
Sunworshipper