Drill press and Variable Speed

I had always hoped to come across a variable speed motor for my old Rockwell 15" wood worker's drill press or some other way to
get it geared a bit lower. I gave up on finding a variable speed motor and bought a Westward brand heavy 20" drill press with 12 speeds from Grainger's. I have just about finished making small modifications to the table and making it "mine". Wouldn't you know - I just acquired a variable speed motor. The new drill came with a 1 HP. The new acquisition came from a commercial tread mill with a 1 1/2 HP, 90 V DC, variable Leeson motor. The output shafts are even the same and the frame mounting pattern is adaptable.
Should I proceed or is the variable motor more valuable on something else? Should I install the multi-sheave pulley on the variable motor and continue to run through the multiple pulleys? Is there a simple way to make this reversible?
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Dan, I have a 15" Clausing DP (non var sp) that I added a GE treadmill motor/controller to. Having this capability is really slick. Just a "twist of the wrist" and I have a more suitable speed for what's needed. It has the feedback for constant speed and torque. I rarely change belt positions. Really nice. RichD (the occasional poster)

DanG wrote:

First: what is the new motor's RPM? Many of the treadmill motors run 6-7000 rpm. If you just electrically lower the speed you loose hp proportionally. Lowering with pulleys can be troublesome.
Bob
I use a variable speed 3 phase motor on my mill, whose speed I control with a VFD. It works beautifully. I do change speeds with belts, but relatively rarely compared to what I would have to do.