Strands drill press

I am looking for information on a Strands MPB-54 drill press. I recently found one in the basement of my fathers house and have begun
to refurbish it. If anyone has any experience with one of these I would greatly appreciate any insight. The press was purchased at an auction and is a world war II relic. It is overall in pretty good shape, there seems to be only one blown bearing and everything else looks to be pretty well maintained. The wiring will eventually become an issue, it is a 3-phase 240 and my plan is to connect to a phase-o-matic converter to solve this issue. Although I am open to suggestions. Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated. I also have some pics if anyone is interested.
Thanks in advance, Matt
Press the bearing out and take it to a bearing supply house for replacement. They are "standard" and you should have no problems dupeing bearings and belts as necessary. A Phase-O-Matic 'TM' will start and run your motor quite nicely. Just be sure to buy one for the rated HP of the drill's motor.
Bob Swinney
I am looking for information on a Strands MPB-54 drill press. I recently found one in the basement of my fathers house and have begun to refurbish it. If anyone has any experience with one of these I would greatly appreciate any insight. The press was purchased at an auction and is a world war II relic. It is overall in pretty good shape, there seems to be only one blown bearing and everything else looks to be pretty well maintained. The wiring will eventually become an issue, it is a 3-phase 240 and my plan is to connect to a phase-o-matic converter to solve this issue. Although I am open to suggestions. Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated. I also have some pics if anyone is interested.
Thanks in advance, Matt
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:01:31 -0600, "Robert Swinney"

Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press.
Karl
let me second the VFD statement - you get soft start and fully vairable speed and you don't have the noise of a rotary converter. the static converter will work as well, but I can't imagine paying the price for a phase-o-matic - it's just a capacitor and two relays, total parts cost is about $15 - there are schematics on the web.
by the way, I have a VFD that would be suitable if you are interested (find me via www.wbnoble.com)

Karl sez:
"Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press."
Not so better yet, IMO! The drill press may already have variable speed. Besides, I would think the OP would rather use it in its original configuration, whether variable or belted speed control. My sugestion was based on the fact the OP might want to later get more 3-phase machines. A single VFD will run only a single 3-phase machine, whereas a rotrary phase converter will "run" several machines at the same time. My suggestion is to start with a static phase converter. Later if he is overtaken with ambition, (likely) the static phase converter can be used to start the idler motor part of a rotary phase converter and run several machines.
Bob Swinney
PS: I am using a Phase-O-Matic to start the 7-1/2 HP idler motor of my voltage balanced RPC. In turn I am able to run a 2 HP lathe and 3 HP mill --- both at the same time if desired.
wrote:>Press the bearing out and take it to a bearing supply house for replacement. They are "standard"

Karl
Robert Swinney wrote:

Luddite! <G> Excused only on the "may already have variable speed" clause.
Seriously, I would never be without a VFD on a drill press. It is SO convenient. A really good example: drill a tap hole at some dialed-in speed, change the bit for a tap, dial in the tap speed, & tap. I have a 60 rpm to 1440 rpm range at the twist of a dial. Sweet!!
And not that expensive on eBay. VFD's have to be one the of the best bargains around. Right up there with the HF angle grinder in terms of bang-for-the-buck.
Don't talk to ME about static phase converters <G>, Bob

I was lucky enough to have an uncle that was servicing porta potties at various sites, including an oil rig. He saw a 5HP rotophase in a dumpster and fished it out.
Neither of us had a use for it but he had another 3 pha motor and I had a fairly empty garage with power. We tested it out and I stored it.
Fast forward a number of years, bought a bridgeport. Hook up rotophase, I'm making chips.
Well I got the bug, later that year, bought a Clausing 6903 with a 3 HP motor, I'm able to run both!
Having said that, I'd love to have a vfd for each machine. An idling RPC makes noise and I like my peace and quiet. Being able to slow down lathe for threading to a shoulder or making reversing a tap on the bp would be sweet.
So Bob has it nailed. RPC to start, VFD if it is worth it to you.
Wes
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:24:37 -0500, Karl Townsend

Seconded.
Is that Strands a post drill?
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Meant to include this in the last post: http://picasaweb.google.com/MattBarra/MillDrill #
Matt