a bridgeport head question

hello , ive recently aquired a bridgeport , i was told that it had

noisy motor !but on commisioning the machine i find i have troubl engaging the back gear (low speed box) the head serial number start with jb, and its a single speed motor . when in high speed its quiet no problem but when i can get it in the bottom range (having to gentl lever the top control upwards) the machine makes a racket when runnin , i dont think its been used for years but ive soaked all moving part with oil , any suggestions please as to cause and possible cure cheers :confused

-- willowkevi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- willowkevin's Profile:

this thread:

willowkevin

The answer is probably the same as Peter Neill's recent problem. I had it aswell.

The resolution maybe here:

or as described here

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I think Charles is probably right with the first link he posted. If it's quiet in high speed it's less likely that the dog clutches are worn, and the low-speed noise may well be coming from the fact that dog clutches aren't properly disengaging (they are lifted out of engagement by rotating the cam ring) and the edges of the dogs will knock each other as the spindle rotates. Usually caused by worn cam pins not lifting the pulley high enough.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

thank you both for that , ive noticed the srew peg on the left at th

top is loose , it came out whilst waggling the lever , but in my wisdo looked at it and as it had no thread and didnt look sheared i jus pushed it back in ! its roughly 11 yrs since ive used a bridgeport s ive got a lot of learning to do again .......

-- willowkevi

this thread:

willowkevin