What is it? CCV

The latest set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

1136: That's a "Slim Jim" for opening car doors when one locks their keys inside the car. Worked on older model cars. Not sure if it works on today's models.

Dunno the rest. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

1136. I don't think it's a slim jim. 1137. Some sort of rabbet plane for wood that uses saw teeth instead of a plane blade. Perhaps for across the grain rabbits. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk
1136 & 1138 Gauges

1140 Censer (Guess) Wall mounted smell maker.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
1136: Gauge, not sure what for. Varies from 7/8" to 1-7/8" 1137: Old router. from back before curves were invented. 1138: Scale, for distance in inches 1139: Cast iron steamer, not a bed warmer the top would be solid instead of vented 1140: Liquid gas furnace/light reflector 1141: Pipe bender for up to 1 inch stock

Dave FL

Reply to
Dave
1140: egg candler (?)

Northe

Reply to
Northe

egg candler is that i thought too (because it's got fabric around the holes to cushion the eggs), but i can't figure out why an egg candler would need three holes. and, does it make sense to have a device that gets HOT to be attached directly and so closely to a wall, that may be flammable?

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon
1136 a gauge, not sure of the specific purpose 1137 - rabbet plane, but not really a plane 1138 - and indexed caliper 1139 - a top for a dutch oven, get it really hot and put it on top to brown the top crust? 1140 - A three light gas lantern? 1141 - Something to score and bend conduit?

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
DS

1136: An LPDA made by someone who just doesn't get it. 1137: Ye Olde Movie Camera

1138: Body fat calipers

1139: Dutch oven, with perforated lid. Or world's worst pressure cooker.

1140: Ye Olde Patio Heater, with light

1141: I'm pretty sure it doesn't make pasta.
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

As closely as I can measure from the photo, the smallest is 22mm (7/8") and the largest 47mm (almost 1 7/8"), but the increments are not linear or exponential:

22, 26, 27, 28, 29, 33, 36, 43, 46, 47.

Maybe it was used to sort wood posts, either for sale or for milling.

Reply to
Bill Rider

Well the plane assembly looks to me like a tool known as a scratch beader. And the pot looks like on of them humidifiers for the top of a wood stove.

Reply to
beecrofter
1141. Electric motor armature undercutter for cutting the mica to below the surface of the metal on the commutator. Art
Reply to
Artemus

Here we go again...

1136 -- This appears to be a gauge for checking/measuring the width or spacing of something. Is it possibly for spacing the frets when building a stringed instrument--perhaps a ukulele?

1137 -- This would seem to cut rabbets in the edge of a narrow strip of some material. The cutters don't look particularly suited for wood, so possibly it's for shaping countertop material at joints or around sinks.

1138 -- A tool to measure/check the diameter of shafting?

1139 -- This I'm quite sure of; it's a humidifier for use on a wood stove, kept filled with water that simmers as the stove heats. Very good to have; with it, you can sometimes even keep the relative humidity in the double digits while heating with wood. (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating the drying effects a little bit, but wood stoves do tend to dry out the inside air a lot.)

1140 -- A very peculiar contraption; it's meant to be wall-mounted, and contains a lamp for heat or light, oddly with two wick adjusters and presumably two wicks. The glass or mirror panels make one suspect some optical device, perhaps to compare samples of something. The large lined holes could hold eggs, but I have no idea why you'd need to check three eggs at once for blood or chicks. Perhaps this is used when grading maple syrup (which is graded by darkness)?

1141 -- This could be used to find and mark the center of stock prior to chucking it in a lathe. The thumbscrew adjustment for the blade depth would seem to be superfluous for such uses, though.

Now to read other's ideas.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1136 could be part of a clock spring gauge. Some of the older English clocks had very wide mainsprings.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from RCM again.

1136) Looks like either a set of measures of very similar sizes (plus a different set of similar sizes on the other side), or a guide for spacing parts in an assembly.

1137) Hmm ... it looks semi-related to a wood plane, except that the working end is closer to a file.

I presume that the two aluminum knobs in front adjust individually the depths of the two "file" sections. The knob on the side adjusts the offset relative to the side guide plate, or perhaps the position of the swinging guide plate standing clear from the overall assembly.

The box on top also appears to serve to adjust the depth of cut, so I would *really* like to have it in my hands for examination, rather than just the few photos. That would also help me to determine whether the "files" on the bottom are hardened, or rubber brake assemblies instead.

Perhaps the aluminum knobs simply serve to clamp the files in place once they are set to depth by the center knob on the top.

1138) A caliper -- given the shape, perhaps for measuring the width and fore-to-aft dimensions of a person's skull in half-inch increments.

1139) It looks as though it is for holding a fire around a central container (which is not present as shown). Perhaps for generating steam to power something from the collection partially shown behind the main object?

1140) For heating three containers -- perhaps some kind of paint or wax, or perhaps cups of tea. Powered by a kerosene lantern, based on the control knobs at the narrow section and the glass chimney protected inside the top.

1141) I don't see anything for moving the blade relative to the main frame, but it still might be for cutting semi-circular grooves in the end of the round object clamped by the lower section.

A good puzzling set this week.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Several new photos and a few links can be found on the answer page:

Also, after the last photo there's a link to a combination tool that I created a while ago. If I can just sell a few million of these, I could retire early and spend more time working on the web site. ;-)

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

The guesses for 1141 don't look plausible to me. A simple lever handle would be adequate for those uses. I think a D handle is used for pushing, like a snow shovel, or pulling, like a wagon.

I don't know why you would need a fancy tool to pull pipe or tubing. I think it's for cable. A long piece could be heavy to drag, wouldn't bend easily like a rope, and could injure the hand with broken wires.

I think it was built with a clamp, a hinge, and a handle for workers who had to drag cable, perhaps in a shipyard.

Somebody installing a cable might want to put a ferrule on the end. I think the toothed blade is to crimp a ferrule with dimpled, longitudinal corrugations. The adjustment screw for the blade would be for crimping various diameters. You would clamp the ferrule, set the blade screw, pull the lever, loosen the clamp, rotate the tool around the ferrule, make another dimpled corrugation, and so on.

There's a notch by the hinge screw on the near side. I wonder what that's for.

Reply to
Bill Rider

Tell the truth, Rob. You've really been designing Klingon switchblades...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Re #1141 - I couldn't find a patent but look at #10 here:

Also see WWJ Vol 25-3 June 2001 pg 82. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Hmmm, previous post didn't show up on my server so I repeat ....

Re #1141 - I couldn't find a patent but look at #10 here:

Also see WWJ Vol 25-3 June 2001 pg 82. Art

PS for the non woodworkers WWJ - WoodWorkers Journal.

Reply to
Artemus