What is it? CXXVIII

The latest set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
744. I think I've seen this one but don't remember what it's for. 747. Camera flash. Uses bulbs. The blades fan into a circular reflector. 748. Possibly a bead breaker for tires? Those are cool steam tractor pictures. Thanks for including them. Karl

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk

744 is a weapon for sharpening brass cork borers. Cork borers come in nested sizes and the taper fits all. One inserts the tapered end into the borer and holds the knife edge tight to the borer and then turns the borer. This trims the brass and leaves a new cutting edge.

I have a complete set of borers but do not have a sharpener :-(

Reply to
Unknown

747- collapsible photo flash.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

748. a device for for measuring the horses hoof size.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Why are cork borers made of brass instead of steel?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Perhaps less chance of corrosion and smoother when interacting with cork? Maybe.

Reply to
Leon

Mostly guesses:

744. Tool for removing burrs from the edges of copper pipes? 745. Head of tool used to repair gutters? 746. Leveling jack. Perhaps for logs? 747. Camera flash reflector (folded). 748. Clamp used when birthing (or castrating) livestock. 749. Door plate (for doorbell, address, etc.)?

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

Matthew wrote: Why are cork borers made of brass instead of steel? Leon wrote: Perhaps less chance of corrosion and smoother when interacting with cork? Maybe. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Cork" borers are called that, even though they are now usually used to bore holes in rubber stoppers. It's kind of like "dialing" a touch-tone phone. Brass? I think that's because the tooling required to sharpen steel "cork"-borers would be out of place in a chem lab, and brass works well enough.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"R.H." wrote in news:ruWEg.76923$Eh1.56989 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

744 is a cork bore sharpener 746 looks like part of a spring-mounted seat 747 is a photographer's flash unit - the stack of silver "leaves" rotate or fan out and form a reflector 749 is a escution plate for something, looks familiar but I can't place it
Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

749. Front plate for a parking meter.

Catherine Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

749 Possible clock "face" Time in the upper hjole and moon phanses &c in the lower holes
Reply to
Howard R Garner

What about the center hole?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Surprised nobody got 748 yet - clearly a set of handcuffs for one-armed prisoners.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

744) Chem lab "cork borer" sharpener. The tube of the borer is slid over the tapered end until it reaches the diameter which stops it, and then it is rotated so the hinged knife scrapes a clean bevel on the end of the borer, thus sharpening it. 745) At a guess, used with a hammer to cut sheet metal.

However, I wonder about the grease which appears to be on the threads -- and why there is an unscrewable handle in the first place.

746) A shock mounted cradle to support something round. (That *is* a spring between the uprights? If it is welded to the top of the uprights, and the bottom of the spring is welded to the center with the U catcher at the top, it would act as a spring shock mount at least. 747) Old fan-folding photo flash gun -- for the pinch-based bulbs which followed the "M" series, IIRC.

The white button will fire a flash without the camera being involved, or the two slots are a connector for a sync cable to go to the camera's shutter sync contacts.

748) Perhaps a tool for cleaning carbon deposits from the grooves on old automotive pistons? If so -- very *large* pistons. 749) escutcheon for a combination lock -- somewhat similar to those on old post-office boxes perhaps?

If so,the upper circle might be for a window to see whether you have mail.

I'm not sure about the two lower holes, however.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
746. Is an adjustable screed chair used in concrete and tilt up construction. Probably made by/for Dayton Superior:

Similar to:

the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

The two lower holes are for two dials, with the letters a-z on each. Dialing each to the proper letter unlocks the box.

Reply to
sewiv

R.H. ? Do you have a place where the correct answers are easily found?

Reply to
Leon

I usually post a link to the answer page the day after the original post. All previous sets have an answer link following the last photo.

This week three of them have been answered correctly, with the last two still unidentified.

744. Cork cutter sharpener 745. Leaf spring lubricator 746. Adjustable screed chair, or rebar chair. The first link on the answer page is the same as provided by DanG in this thread. 747. Camera flash accessory 748. Haven't been able to confirm any of the guesses yet, same with number 749.

749. A list of guesses so far can be found on the link below.

If anyone can find a link to verify either of these last two, please post it.

New photos and several links have been posted on the answer page:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Reply to