What is it? Set 265

Just posted the latest set:

formatting link


Reply to
Rob H.
Loading thread data ...

Don't know ANY of them, but could not resist the opportunity to post the first reply to a 'what is it' in 2009. :-)

Happy New Year, everyone!


Reply to

1501: Don't know....but it looks dangerous.

1502: Electrical fitting for Dr. Frankenstein's attempts to reanimate the dead flesh of his monster. Inserts into the neck I believe. One on each side.

1503: Obviously an Inquisition device for pulling the tongues out of heretics and infidels to the Catholic church. Then comes the boiling in oil part of the procedure.

1504: No idea.

1505: Cluster bomb munition bomblet. And if that is what it is you better be real sure it's inert.

1506: Gizmachi. Dave

Reply to
1501 Let me make a wild guess... You wheel it up to a fence-post. You clamp it on. You turn the crank to bore 5 holes for fence rails. Yeah... I know it sounds like the hard way to do it. Yeah... the bottom rail would be too low.

1502 Strange... If the thing were a splice clamp to join 2 cables, the lips on the sliding piece are on the wrong side. Perhaps it is used to separate a pair of cables, with one cable resting on the chevron groove and the other in the slot in the screw. But... this doesn't account for the shape of the top of the slider and bottom of the larger piece, which resemble a cable splice clamp.

1505 I'm having trouble visualizing this. The first two pictures seem to be of the same side, with the point of view moved a little bit down and right. The third picture seems to be of the bottom. Is there something going on on the back? I'll make a completely wild guess... A golf-ball vulcanizing mold.

1506 Silly guess... Snow shoe binding.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I wonder along similar lines it it's something to do with paying out, or twisting in some way, wire fences. But I don't see why it should want to twist (let alone twist alternate levels in opposite directions).

Is 1504 something as obvious as part of a safety light? The holes look to large for that.

Reply to

"Alexander Thesoso" scribbled:

I am leaning more towards a fence post remover.

Reply to

Good eye, in the first photo the nut is on upside down, but it's shown correctly in the second picture. Apparently I wasn't paying very close attention when I shot the photos.


Correct, though the top and bottom look the same.

The back looks the same as the front. A simple description of it would be that it's a sphere with a ring around it, with four of the vertical parts as seen in the first two photos.

It's not a mold of any type.


Reply to
Rob H.

1502 Electrical cable splice connector. Not to be used for cables under stress.
Reply to
Howard R Garner

1502 - Clamp to hold two cables together - or to clamp a loop of cable. The loop would pass through an eye bolt.
Reply to

1502: The other reply was correct, it is a "split bolt" wire splice. Around here they seem to be generically referred to by the brand name "Burndy". 1504: guess - inlet suction hose strainer for fire hose?

1505: Cluster bomb bomblet.

not sure on the others...

Reply to

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

It's called a "bug" in the electrical trade. Designed to clamp two large conductors together.


Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's not as wild as my first though: miniature Magdeburg sphere. :-)

That *is* silly. :-p My immediate guess was Yet Another Animal Trap.

I have no guesses for the first four, however.

Reply to
Ted Schuerzinger

1502. A "split bolt" for splicing electrical wires. I quoted Burndy automation for making the part with the female thread almost 20 years ago. The most interesting part of the project was the fact that the OD threads are coined (cold formed) in a large high speed press. 1504. A pickup screen for pumping water out of a pond, stream, etc. Probably for the fire department.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

1501 - ???

1502 - Cable splice bug. Used to connect electrical cables.

1503 - ???

1504 - 6" suction strainer. With a rocker lug connection. The loop on the other end is for a rope. That allows it to be tied off to keep it off the bottom and the sand/silt/dirt out of the pump.

1505 - Probably not correct but it looks like a pipe cleaning pig.
Reply to
Steve W.
1501 no clue The alternate clamps will alternately open or close as you crank one direction reverse when you crank the opposite. 1502 Common electrical cable clamp 1503 No idea but I sure wouldn't mind having one for holding rope when doing rope splices. It would allow you to hold the rope while doing the actual splice, then you could use it to form the strands back into place to make it a nice job. 1504 > Just posted the latest set:
Reply to

Another thought:

Clamp to attach a grounding wire to a rod which is driven into earth.

Reply to

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@r10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Nope; ground clamps are different. That's a wire bug.


Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

My guesses...which are rather uneducated this week.

1501 - Possibly a tool for making the sort of fencing that consists of slats held in place by twisted wires. 1502 - This appears to be a clamp or connector for large electric cables, similar in action to a U-bolt but somewhat fancier in design and construction. Presumably, this would be used to join high-voltage distribution lines together. 1503 - Sadistic dental implement. (OK, probably not.) 1504 - Part of a filter, probably either an air filter for an engine (in which case a foam and/or paper element would surround the perforated cylinder) or well water (to remove suspended dirt and debris, perhaps with a wound string element). 1505 - Bomb or grenade casing?

1506 - This appears to be placed upon a board or something, when the pointy bit can be sprung down to leave a pointy poke mark a set distance from the edge. I have no idea whatsoever what bigger process this might be used for. It could perhaps be a can opener of some description, I suppose, but seems very much overdesigned for that purpose.

Now to read other guesses.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Correct, it's a machine used to make wire fences.


Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1501) My first thought about this was that it was for moving large pieces of plate glass (given the rather unidirectional arrangement of the wheels), but a closer look at the second photo suggests that it is used for picking up and moving things which have vertical posts as part of them -- perhaps a movable section of fence.

In most cases, it would be used in pairs I think though with a cast-iron fence it could be used to swing one section around a pivot formed by the next fencepost.

1502) Very clear (to me) that this is an electrical splice for heavy gauge wires. The stripped ends of two (or perhaps three) wires are placed in the slot, and the nut with its traveling clamp tightened down onto the wires. The herringbone pattern on the clamp (and most likely also on the inside of the U shape). The U is held in one wrench, while the nut is tightened by another.

The whole assembly is then wrapped in quite a few layers of electrical insulating tape and stuffed into a protective box with the other splices.

1503) These look like Cleco pliers except that I have never seen any with two sets of bottom grippers of different spacing.

1504) Could this be part of a mine safety lamp? There is a naked flame inside, and if the mine starts to accumulate flamable gases, it starts burning on the inside of the cage, hopefully alerting the miners. The flame can't pass through the small holes. (Though I really thought that they were made of wire screening instead of perforated metal. And given the size, I'm not sure how well this particular item would block the movement of the flame form the inside to the outside, where you *don't* want it.

I guess that it *could* be part of a wind shield for a heavy duty microphone -- lined with foam rubber on the inside.

1505) Perhaps a mould to make rubber balls? It looks as though it unfolds from around whatever it is contained in a rather thorough manner -- sufficient to allow something moulded in there to be removed without difficulty.

Or it might be for moulding lead balls -- heavy sinkers?

I can't see whether there is an aperture in part of the darker areas to pour in whatever.

1506) Looks like something to grip the heel of an old skiing boot, perhaps for measuring a safety binding prior to installation on the ski?

Or perhaps a trigger mechanism for some kind of trap?

1507) ------ Nope ------ no 1507. :-)

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.