What is it? Set 265

Just posted the latest set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

Don't know ANY of them, but could not resist the opportunity to post the first reply to a 'what is it' in 2009. :-)
Happy New Year, everyone!
--riverman

1501: Don't know....but it looks dangerous.
1502: Electrical fitting for Dr. Frankenstein's attempts to reanimate the dead flesh of his monster. Inserts into the neck I believe. One on each side.
1503: Obviously an Inquisition device for pulling the tongues out of heretics and infidels to the Catholic church. Then comes the boiling in oil part of the procedure.
1504: No idea.
1505: Cluster bomb munition bomblet. And if that is what it is you better be real sure it's inert.
1506: Gizmachi. Dave
1501 Let me make a wild guess... You wheel it up to a fence-post. You clamp it on. You turn the crank to bore 5 holes for fence rails. Yeah... I know it sounds like the hard way to do it. Yeah... the bottom rail would be too low.
1502 Strange... If the thing were a splice clamp to join 2 cables, the lips on the sliding piece are on the wrong side. Perhaps it is used to separate a pair of cables, with one cable resting on the chevron groove and the other in the slot in the screw. But... this doesn't account for the shape of the top of the slider and bottom of the larger piece, which resemble a cable splice clamp.
1505 I'm having trouble visualizing this. The first two pictures seem to be of the same side, with the point of view moved a little bit down and right. The third picture seems to be of the bottom. Is there something going on on the back? I'll make a completely wild guess... A golf-ball vulcanizing mold.
1506 Silly guess... Snow shoe binding.

I wonder along similar lines it it's something to do with paying out, or twisting in some way, wire fences. But I don't see why it should want to twist (let alone twist alternate levels in opposite directions).
Is 1504 something as obvious as part of a safety light? The holes look to large for that.
--
Online waterways route planner: http://canalplan.org.uk
development version: http://canalplan.eu
writes:

Correct, it's a machine used to make wire fences.
Rob

I am leaning more towards a fence post remover.

Good eye, in the first photo the nut is on upside down, but it's shown correctly in the second picture. Apparently I wasn't paying very close attention when I shot the photos.

Yes
Correct, though the top and bottom look the same.

The back looks the same as the front. A simple description of it would be that it's a sphere with a ring around it, with four of the vertical parts as seen in the first two photos.

It's not a mold of any type.
Rob
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 06:57:51 -0500, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

That's not as wild as my first though: miniature Magdeburg sphere. :-)

That *is* silly. :-p My immediate guess was Yet Another Animal Trap.
I have no guesses for the first four, however.
--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net
Rob H. wrote:

1502 Electrical cable splice connector. Not to be used for cables under stress.

1502 - Clamp to hold two cables together - or to clamp a loop of cable. The loop would pass through an eye bolt.

It's called a "bug" in the electrical trade. Designed to clamp two large conductors together.
LLoyd

Another thought:
Clamp to attach a grounding wire to a rod which is driven into earth.

Nope; ground clamps are different. That's a wire bug.
LLoyd
Rob H. wrote:

1502: The other reply was correct, it is a "split bolt" wire splice. Around here they seem to be generically referred to by the brand name "Burndy".
1504: guess - inlet suction hose strainer for fire hose?
1505: Cluster bomb bomblet.
not sure on the others...

This answer is correct, as others have mentioned, it's for use in lakes and rivers.
Rob

1502. A "split bolt" for splicing electrical wires. I quoted Burndy automation for making the part with the female thread almost 20 years ago. The most interesting part of the project was the fact that the OD threads are coined (cold formed) in a large high speed press.
1504. A pickup screen for pumping water out of a pond, stream, etc. Probably for the fire department.
--
Ned Simmons

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:18:18 -0500, Ned Simmons

I've heard most of the names people have offered for the "split-bolt". We always called them "Kearney's" when I was working in the trade (shrug). I guess whatever name stuck with us was related to one's local supply house.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Rob H. wrote:

1501 - ???
1502 - Cable splice bug. Used to connect electrical cables.
1503 - ???
1504 - 6" suction strainer. With a rocker lug connection. The loop on the other end is for a rope. That allows it to be tied off to keep it off the bottom and the sand/silt/dirt out of the pump.
1505 - Probably not correct but it looks like a pipe cleaning pig.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York