What is it? Set 450

Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2613 is a band clamp for securing boxes and frames while glue dries.
2615 reminds me of an oriental earthquake alarm. A bell (or other object) on a loop would be hung on one of each of the pegs. When an earthquake hit, the bell in the direction of the earthquake would fall off. Probably not what this is. Interesting to note that there are 12 knobs.
2616 is a meat tenderizer, flattener, ice crusher, and head knocker.

Looks like a (tobacco smoking) pipe stand to me.
LLoyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

If you've ever smoked a pipe, you would never rest a pipe with the stem down.
--
G.W. Ross

It is bad luck to be superstitious.

I do, and it doesn't require that.
But you're right that it's not all that well adapted to it.
Besides, I have _never_ had a "drink" from my pipe (right? that only happens to rookies...).
LLoyd
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:00:23 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

;-) I thought pipes were always allowed to dry thoroughly between uses. <Yeech!>

Right. But let it dry with the stem up.
--
G.W. Ross

It is bad luck to be superstitious.

It's not for lack of drying that most folks get a mouthful of juice. It's from smoking those soaking-wet cavendish blends.
A long time ago, I found and stuck with Union Leader. They stopped making it, but now it's being faithfully reproduced by several small companies.
It's not aromatic, but not nasty-smelling either. And it's a fairly dry straight Kentucky Burley with a mix of coarse shag and cube cuts, so it burns evenly and cool. Nice, strong flavor and not too much bite.
I never get a drink from it. And yes, I do dry my pipes stem up when not in use.
LLoyd

I haven't been able to find another one like it but I think this is right.

Meat tenderizer and ice crusher are correct.

2611: Need to know if the metal piece next to the handle is hollow. Might be some kind of pill packer? 2612: Might be for setting toe-in of vehicle front wheels? 2613: Who can tell? Probably a carry strap for a trombone, used in parades. 2614: With this poor picture, no way to know. 2615: some kind of loom for knitting sleeves. 2616: Meat tenderizing, flattening McDonalds burgers so they can get a couple more out of a pound of meat, Chi-Fao relaxation massage (try not to use the sharp edge), and scraping carrots and potatos.
You got me, I've never seen any of these. Really drawing a blank on the whole lot.
Posting from my desktop PC, as always.
Just posted this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

They aren't pill packers, I only have the photo but I'm pretty sure they are solid. These two tools are for use by a woodworker.

2612: the three screws are used to adjust the jaws so that they _are_ square to the beam! The center screw on the movable jaw can be used to lock it in place. phil k.
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:39:51 AM UTC-4, Phil Kangas wrote:

Lots easier to adjust for square than machine/cut square...

Sounds good, I'm going to ask for a photo of the screws, I can't visualize how they work from the description.

    [ ... ]

    They are visible in the second photo. You may need to download the larger version (pic2612b.jpg is the file name), and use an image viewer to increase the gamma a bit to brighten it up, and enlarge it to fill your screen, and you'll see the screws along the top edges.
    They would probably have been more visible if it were against an unpatterned background -- say some white shirt cardboard. And a different angle might show whether there are nuts to lock the settings for the screws or not.
    Personally, I don't think that they actually change the angle -- I suspect that they just tighten the gibs (adjustable sliding surface) to keep it sliding smoothly, or to lock it in a specific position. The angle of the jaws is defined by the surface opposite the screws -- right behind the jaws.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Guess I didn't look close enough, pretty obvious now that I know they're there. Your analysis of it sounds right. Thanks
On 7/19/2012 3:59 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2614 Is for throwing clay pigeons (shotgun targets), I've got one that's made about the same.

Thanks! I found one just like it on the web, I'll forward this on to the owner.

2611)    Look like they are designed to grip round objects (rods), and     plug into tubing -- so they may be for adding rods to scaffolding     or the like. The wooden handles allow one to pivot whatever is     gripped around the center of the plug.
    Given that they are of two different sizes, and are perhaps     intended to work together, one possibility is for gripping     a rifle barrel near the action and near the muzzle for     repeatable test firing. In that case, the handles are for     lifting it free of the fixture.
2612)    At first glance, it reminds me of a vernier caliper, but     it has no graduations on the bar.
    So -- it is a transfer gauge -- set to a stack of gauge blocks     or some other standard, and then used to compare them to the     size of a workpiece.
2613)    Designed to wrap around something and compress it. Given     some other items which have appeared here, I suspect that it     might be for holding a tire in place on the rim while air is     pumped in to seat the bead.
2614)    Looks to me like a hand launcher for clay pigeons.
    I had to save it and adjust the gamma to see the details, it was     a rather dark image.
2615)    I'm going to assume that the flat top rotates around the     central hub. And if that is true, I expect that it was intended     for a yarn (or perhaps the cord used to make the cover under it)     is stored by wrapping in a figure 8 pattern around all the     knobs, to be payed out to the person crocheting or knitting or     whatever.
2616)    Perhaps a tenderizer, perhaps a tool for driving caulking into     something like a boat's hull, except the ribs are too close     together for that. The bottom of the grooves are rounded nicely     at the ends, so it could be for running multiple lines (ropes)     in parallel -- perhaps when threading the line through a     multi-sheave pulley block pair.
    It could also be used to hammer lines or canvas to soften them     or drive them into joints as caulking.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail