What is it? Set 450

Just posted this week's set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2613 is a band clamp for securing boxes and frames while glue dries.

2615 reminds me of an oriental earthquake alarm. A bell (or other object) on a loop would be hung on one of each of the pegs. When an earthquake hit, the bell in the direction of the earthquake would fall off. Probably not what this is. Interesting to note that there are

12 knobs.

2616 is a meat tenderizer, flattener, ice crusher, and head knocker.

Reply to
lektric dan
2611: Need to know if the metal piece next to the handle is hollow. Might be some kind of pill packer? 2612: Might be for setting toe-in of vehicle front wheels? 2613: Who can tell? Probably a carry strap for a trombone, used in parades. 2614: With this poor picture, no way to know. 2615: some kind of loom for knitting sleeves. 2616: Meat tenderizing, flattening McDonalds burgers so they can get a couple more out of a pound of meat, Chi-Fao relaxation massage (try not to use the sharp edge), and scraping carrots and potatos.

You got me, I've never seen any of these. Really drawing a blank on the whole lot.

Posting from my desktop PC, as always.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

lektric dan fired this volley in news:d310ba0c- snipped-for-privacy@i8g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

Looks like a (tobacco smoking) pipe stand to me.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2612: the three screws are used to adjust the jaws so that they _are_ square to the beam! The center screw on the movable jaw can be used to lock it in place. phil k.
Reply to
Phil Kangas

2614 Is for throwing clay pigeons (shotgun targets), I've got one that's made about the same.
Reply to
Ralph

If you've ever smoked a pipe, you would never rest a pipe with the stem down.

Reply to
G. Ross

"G. Ross" fired this volley in news:j8udnb9JANKvoZXNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I do, and it doesn't require that.

But you're right that it's not all that well adapted to it.

Besides, I have _never_ had a "drink" from my pipe (right? that only happens to rookies...).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

;-) I thought pipes were always allowed to dry thoroughly between uses.

Reply to
krw

Right. But let it dry with the stem up.

Reply to
G. Ross

"G. Ross" fired this volley in news:gOidnQsSkZl3x5XNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's not for lack of drying that most folks get a mouthful of juice. It's from smoking those soaking-wet cavendish blends.

A long time ago, I found and stuck with Union Leader. They stopped making it, but now it's being faithfully reproduced by several small companies.

It's not aromatic, but not nasty-smelling either. And it's a fairly dry straight Kentucky Burley with a mix of coarse shag and cube cuts, so it burns evenly and cool. Nice, strong flavor and not too much bite.

I never get a drink from it. And yes, I do dry my pipes stem up when not in use.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lots easier to adjust for square than machine/cut square...

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

2611) Look like they are designed to grip round objects (rods), and plug into tubing -- so they may be for adding rods to scaffolding or the like. The wooden handles allow one to pivot whatever is gripped around the center of the plug.

Given that they are of two different sizes, and are perhaps intended to work together, one possibility is for gripping a rifle barrel near the action and near the muzzle for repeatable test firing. In that case, the handles are for lifting it free of the fixture.

2612) At first glance, it reminds me of a vernier caliper, but it has no graduations on the bar.

So -- it is a transfer gauge -- set to a stack of gauge blocks or some other standard, and then used to compare them to the size of a workpiece.

2613) Designed to wrap around something and compress it. Given some other items which have appeared here, I suspect that it might be for holding a tire in place on the rim while air is pumped in to seat the bead.

2614) Looks to me like a hand launcher for clay pigeons.

I had to save it and adjust the gamma to see the details, it was a rather dark image.

2615) I'm going to assume that the flat top rotates around the central hub. And if that is true, I expect that it was intended for a yarn (or perhaps the cord used to make the cover under it) is stored by wrapping in a figure 8 pattern around all the knobs, to be payed out to the person crocheting or knitting or whatever.

2616) Perhaps a tenderizer, perhaps a tool for driving caulking into something like a boat's hull, except the ribs are too close together for that. The bottom of the grooves are rounded nicely at the ends, so it could be for running multiple lines (ropes) in parallel -- perhaps when threading the line through a multi-sheave pulley block pair.

It could also be used to hammer lines or canvas to soften them or drive them into joints as caulking.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Meat tenderizer and ice crusher are correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

I haven't been able to find another one like it but I think this is right.

Reply to
Rob H.

They aren't pill packers, I only have the photo but I'm pretty sure they are solid. These two tools are for use by a woodworker.

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds good, I'm going to ask for a photo of the screws, I can't visualize how they work from the description.

Reply to
Rob H.

Thanks! I found one just like it on the web, I'll forward this on to the owner.

Reply to
Rob H.

[ ... ]

They are visible in the second photo. You may need to download the larger version (pic2612b.jpg is the file name), and use an image viewer to increase the gamma a bit to brighten it up, and enlarge it to fill your screen, and you'll see the screws along the top edges.

They would probably have been more visible if it were against an unpatterned background -- say some white shirt cardboard. And a different angle might show whether there are nuts to lock the settings for the screws or not.

Personally, I don't think that they actually change the angle -- I suspect that they just tighten the gibs (adjustable sliding surface) to keep it sliding smoothly, or to lock it in a specific position. The angle of the jaws is defined by the surface opposite the screws -- right behind the jaws.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Guess I didn't look close enough, pretty obvious now that I know they're there. Your analysis of it sounds right. Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.