What is it? Set 494

Just posted this week's set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2875 String/cord tightener or slack eliminator. For a long curtain or blind cord. Wedge the excess length into the two narrow slits with the extra loop in the middle.

2876 Smudge pot. Burn smokey oil for light, heat or warning.

2879 Grease gun.

2880 Counter/accumulator. As small groups of events happen, stick a po> Just posted this week's set:

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
2875 - Looks like the handle of a corkscrew

2876 - Looks like a mini soap dispenser, so presumably for dispensing something other than soap?

2879 - Rivet gun?
Reply to
PuzzleScot

2876

Looks like it might be a pressure regulator for a pressure cooker.

Reply to
phorbin

2876 - smudge pot

2877 - adjustable back scratcher ?

2879 - Tire plug gun.

2880 - Some type of counter. Maybe for a turnstile type device?

Reply to
Steve W.

2877- Looks like it moves the 'claw' based on the temperature of the tube (that part looks just like a furnace aquastat), but as to why it has a claw... 2879- standard answer for any rivet/grease-gun looking thing- it's for setting cleco pins!
Reply to
spamTHISbrp

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

All the Clecos I've used on aircraft have had a simple pliar-type tool for setting, or were set/released with an adjusting nut. But I've heard of such tools...

I can remember one job on a C-47 cargo door mod where we must've had 1500 Clecos installed at one time. DAMN, the boss must've spent a lot on those!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Posting from my desk top PC, as always.

2875 looks a bit like a cable link, for auto brake cables. The cable had a ball at the end, and it went into the center, much like a beaded key chain. 2876, maybe hanging oil lamp, or citronella for Mrs. O'Leary's barn. 2877, no serious guesses. 2878, not much idea. 2879, one of these, maybe. Grease gun, rivet tool, sausage stuffer, caulk dispenser, or??

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Guarantee you it's a tire plug gun. Specifically a Jiffy with a nozzle holding clip on the barrel. I have the exact same one. Inserts a mushroom shaped plug. There is a second tool with a handle on it missing from the picture. To use you clear out the hole, screw the nose to the T-handle, apply some cement, Push the probe and nozzle through the hole. Unscrew the nozzle. Load the plug in the gun, screw the gun to the nozzle, then squeeze the handle till it stops. Now pull the gun/nozzle out and the plug pulls up tight inside the tire and seals the hole as well. Done properly it is an approved repair.

Steve W.

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:knliua$bpt$1 @dont-email.me:

WHICH might be the reason that after using thousands of Clecos, I'd never actually seen such a gun!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I use Clecos a bunch doing body work. Much easier to hold panels in place prior to welding. Also makes it easier to do all mock-up work and keep everything aligned. Which remind me I need to get some more of the

1/8" P series. And some more clamps, someone "borrowed" my box full...
Reply to
Steve W.

2879 Gun for tagging livestock's ears. 2875 Something for tightening something that's on a line (similar to a spoke wrench for bike) or for holiding 2 ends of a cable together.. that has a crimp on each end... (best I could do)
Reply to
woodchucker

The last one is correct, the patent calls it an adding machine.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, it is indeed a tire plug gun.

Reply to
Rob H.

I think old oil lamp might be correct, closest thing I could find to it is some antique campaign torches.

Reply to
Rob H.

That's it! It actually is a spoke wrench, so that was a good guess on this one.

Reply to
Rob H.

I knew it wasn't, but we're talking tradition here, dammit!

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I think old oil lamp might be correct, closest thing I could find to it is some antique campaign torches.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2878 is a primer pocket deburring tool for large cases.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge
2875 Bicycle spoke wrench.