What is it? XCIII

The latest set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

535 - battery post cleaner 534 - keep your moose right here -barbered inserted into some orifce squid jig 536 - window crank handle 533 - some sort of early packaging tool
Reply to
Mike

534. Appears to be a weight for fishing. The prongs fold out to dig into the sand to prevent movement in the surf. 535. Automotive Battery terminal cleaner. 538. B&D drill or riveting tool.
Reply to
Leon

534. Whale hook 535. Battery post cleaner
Reply to
Gary Brady
537 a candle lighter. Inside would be a waxed candle wick. It is pushed out of the opening at the end of the curved piece by means of a small protrusion farther on down near the handle on the body.

Reply to
Kevin

How about for 533 A candel snuffer/wick trimmer? :-) :-)

535 is obviously a battery terminal cleaner. ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Hi,

533 Just a quess, but it looks like a number fasteners of some kind (maybe odd staples or glaser points) are loaded into the vertical tube. The tool is pushed forward to seat the fastener. From the second picture it seems that the left piece slides on the main body and handle assembly. The third picture shows a thin metal piece solidly attached to the handle that would drive the fastener into whatever.

534 This looks a bit like a naval weapon from the days of sailing. One would fire this into the opposing ships rigging and then pull the rigging down or bring the opposing ship up to you for boarding.

Fun as always, Roger haar

*************************** "R.H." wrote:
Reply to
Roger Haar

534 - Fish lure/hook 535 - Battery post & clamp brush 536 - Car window crank 537 - Tool for lighting gas lamps?
Reply to
Dave Balderstone
536 .. .. bottom view of a fuel pump
Reply to
Anonymous
537 looks like an opener/closer for the smaller windows above the doors in old office buildings. It would pull the latch and lower the window, and then push it back up to close. robo hippy
Reply to
robo hippy

533 - Glaziers tool (used to install the glazing push points) 534 - 535 - Top terminal battery post cleaner 536 - Change return lever on a public phone 537 - Gas lamp lighter and valve control. 538 - B&D power head (use depends on which kit it came in, Mine is with a valve cutting and grinding unit for automotive valves)
Reply to
Steve W.
534 is a jig for cleaning chimneys. Rags were wrapped in the wires, the whole thing was dropped down a chimney and retrieved 535 is well identified as a battery post cleaner. 536 looks like a closeup of the back of a bicycle mirror, the adjustable kind. 537 is mesmerizing...it looks vaguely familiar. Something to do with a gas lamp?

--humuculus

Reply to
humunculus

"533 Just a quess, but it looks like a number fasteners of some kind (maybe odd staples or glaser points)"

I agree. Here's a modern version

--humunculus

Reply to
humunculus

I wanted to say that looked very similar to something I used as an acolyte in my mother's church, but couldn't see the necessary slot for the feed handle, or the feed handle itself.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Reply to
carl

I think you are on the right track. But I guess it is for inserting glazing points that hold glass panes in a wooden window pane before glazing. I know you have done that by hand.

535 - battery terminal cleaner

537 - lamp lighter

Bob Haar

Reply to
Robert Haar
533. cool that you guys are onto figuring that one out (glaziers push points pusher) jeez. i had no idea, looked like something someone made up special (that doesn't do anything) to stump this group. 534. don't know what it is but it sure is a cool looking object! fascinating construction. very sculptural. 535. battery terminal cleaner (i wanted to try to post a "humorous" reply but was afraid it would be TOO inappropriate.) 536. coin return lever on pay phone 537. i thought it might be for lighting old fashioned gas lamps. humunculus said "mesmerizing", i get that too, my mind latches onto some of the items posted by Rob and refuses to let go till i can figure out what it is (most times i can't though). 538. black and decker something i don't know what. interesting replies.

Reply to
William Wixon

533: Whatchmacallit

534: Squid jig - modern ones are plastic, about 6" long, with 2-4 rows of metal spines around it, all facing towards the eye. When the squid are running, shine a bright light into the water. The squid congregate in the light and you lower and retreive the jig, with the squids being impaled in the spines.

535: Battery post cleaner

536: Maybe a fuel pump, but I'm going to guess some kind of reflector or light

537: Candle lighter - used one very similar in church as a youth.

538: A tool from Black and Decker back when they built quality stuff

Reply to
Bill B

538 is an electric valve grinder, came with a set of bits to suit various valve heads. Spindle oscillates to imitate the usual hand motion when lapping valves but is faster.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Isn't 536 the coin return lever on a pay phone?

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus