Eroded Aluminum Engine Head

It looks like it wasn't a stuck thermostat on my old Toy. Five places out of nine coolant galleries on the exhaust side of the head eroded into the combustion chambers right where the metal rings of the gasket are.

I know someone that can do O/A on aluminum , maybe get him some special rod to match the type of aluminum use on this head... Or , get someone to weld it. Or, maybe some real good liquid metal stuff.

I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed before I sell it or the truck is going to end up being a trailer.

I can resurface it on my planer.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

"Liquid metal" to seal the combustion chamber? I hope you're joking!

Take your head to a good automobile machine shop and let the pros do their thing. They will grind out the corrosion, fill in the cavities with solid welding, and resurface the head properly. It shouldn't cost much, perhaps around $50-$75. While you're at it, have them check and possibly replace any bad valve guides, valves, and resurface the valve seats.

I had some corrosion on my aluminum Toyota 22RE head near (but not into) the chambers. I took it to my trusted machine shop and they did a great job fixing it up. Sometimes, you need to turn a job over to professionals with the right tools and the right experience.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

"DeepDiver" wrote: (clip) I'd like it at least past half way ass fixed before I sell it or the truck is going to end up being a trailer. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Pardon me for being old-fashioned, but doing some sort of patch job, and selling the truck without disclosure would be immoral. I wouldn't do it!

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Leo, I did not write that, the original poster ("Sunworshipper") did. And I agree with you.

Reply to
DeepDiver

Hey! Cut Sunworshipper some slack, already! He lives in Las Vegas. Aluminum is liquid metal.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Cast iron block + aluminum head + depleted (or the wrong type) of coolant = galvanic corrosion

I'd have a pro fix it if I were you. This is a very common problem these days, and most engine shops do it all the time.

Mark

Reply to
MM

"DeepDiver" wrote:..... (clip) I Leo, I did not write that, the original poster ("Sunworshipper") did. And I agree with you. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sorry, Deepdiver, I'm getting careless again, and thanks for agreeing with me.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Tough crowd. Sure enough this is common practice and thanks. I just mentioned the liquid metal cause someone local said it might work. It had never crossed my mind to just try it and sell it. I figured asking a auto machine shop to weld an aluminum head would just get a laugh. I've sold a lot of vehicles and no one has called back , keyed my vehicles, or burned my house down.

I'm one of the last people to intentionally f*ck someone over. As far as I know there maybe something that will work great for the application. Anyhow, I found a place on the first call that will do it a lot cheaper and weld it , than the other place I looked into a couple of weeks ago that I got a bad feeling about the business for just the valve job.

Ya'll should have seen the religious beating I got for buying the new to me Toy. Guy was scaring me and thought it might get physical the way he was acting. Saying all kinds of shit about talking him down $300. Like, "I'm for sure now going to a much better place cause you devil worshipper are taking advantage of my christian believes." Thing was is that this guy looked very similar to Gunner and I knew I would loose in a fight. I was praying he would get around to giving the title and keys as fast as possible.

What I'm most concerned about is wanting to keep the truck I bought new in '86 , cause this other one (new to me) is a pussy in comparison.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

"Sunworshipper" wrote: (clip) I'm one of the last people to intentionally f*ck someone over.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good for you. From your original posting, I wasn't sure--so now we know that there are at least three good people in this thread. :-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Sunworshiper is one of the good guys.

From personal experience and face to face.

Gunner "Considering the events of recent years, the world has a long way to go to regain its credibility and reputation with the US." unknown

Reply to
Gunner