Utility trailer sides

I'm trying to add sides to my trailer but it doesn't have the metal
brackets to put the 2x4's in. I want to make some and weld them on but I
don't know where to get the metal. I don't want to have to buy a whole
sheet, I just need a 3" wide strip I can cut, bend and weld. Any ideas?
Thanks
Reply to
Michael Shaffer
For one trailer, just buy the the darn things ready made:
Item# 125504
Michael Shaffer wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
| For one trailer, just buy the the darn things ready made: |
Item# 125504 | | Michael Shaffer wrote: | | > I'm trying to add sides to my trailer but it doesn't have the metal | > brackets to put the 2x4's in. I want to make some and weld them on but I | > don't know where to get the metal. I don't want to have to buy a whole | > sheet, I just need a 3" wide strip I can cut, bend and weld. Any ideas? | > | > Thanks
Saw some at Home Depot this evening. In with the big hinges and such hardware for big doors. Go figure. Probably didn't know where else to put them.
Reply to
carl mciver
It's
you misspelled it above.
And here's a direct link to the item :
PrecisionMachinisT
I can't do that because the Home Depot ones are too short. I'm using it to haul bamboo which is like 20' long..
Reply to
Michael Shaffer
Any reasonable steel supply place should have 1/8"x3" bar stock in 10' lengths. But if one is too short, how about using 2, one above the other. Or cut them in half the long way. still beats cutting, bending, and welding bar stock
Michael Shaffer wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Rectangular tubing (4 sides) or channel (3 sides) can be cut to any length, then welded onto the trailer frame. You may need to resize your upright lumber slightly (sander/grinder), but it's still much less effort than trying to bend heavy gage steel into uniformly-sized brackets.
Reply to
Wild Bill
I think you would be better served in purchasing some 2x4 rectangular tubing and simply cutting off proper lenghts.
Gunner
Gunner