Cincinnati Toolmaster vertical mill

Hi,

My brother in law has in effect offered to give me a Cincinnati Toolmaster vertical mill with an infinitely variable speed head for free. It's relatively local and wouldn't cost a ton to move. It has an undetermined amount of tooling with it, but he says it's in good shape. I've heard that collets are hard to find (although it may be fully set up), but that the Toolmasters were nice machines.

I'm going to take a look at it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about these machines: things to look out for, strengths, weaknesses, typical problem areas? Suggestions?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Hi Peter,

Yeah, I have a thought. Get it, and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's a far better machine than is a Bridgeport (I own a BP) that will serve you well, even if you have to lay down some cash for collets.

Good luck! Tell us how well you like it after you get it set up.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Downside....they are rare, and parts are scarce. Upside.... They are accurate if in good shape, it has some tooling, its free, its local and its a mill.

Suggestions? Dont let the grass grow under your feet..snag it.

Gunner

Gunner

I have one. It's a great mill, but as you noted, the collets are expensive if you have to buy them new. Buy them directly from Hardinge, that's where Cincinnatti gets them. The variable speed will be handy, I have to move v-belts to change the speed. A power-feed would be useful, I easily adapted a mill-drill feed to mine. I'm assuming it is 3-phase and you won't have any issues with that.

Reply to
John