South Bend Vertical Milling Machine

Hi, I purchased a South Bend Vertical Mill a couple years ago. It is a model MIL4218 that was produced in the late 50's or early 60's. It was actually manufactured by South Bend and is not an import. It has a 9 x

42 table and a 30 MM (30mm) spindle taper. It seems the spindle taper is the same as a 30 NMTB, but uses two 45 degree angle set screw pockets that are timed with the notches to retain the tool in the spindle. It does not have the typical 1/2" fine thread draw socket on top. I have been seaching for tooling and the Z collets that my collet chuck uses. The collets can be purchased new, but are currently $19.00 each. That makes a complete set a bit expensive. I believe I have a line on used collets. I am also looking for end mill holders, and Jacobs taper adapters. I have contacted South Bend about it and they were pleasant and sent me some info, but told me they did not have anything else and have no parts. If anyone has a mill like this or can help with the tooling please reply or email. Thanks, Peter.
Reply to
Peter

If you can buy those special SB collets for twenty bucks each, do it. That's a bargain.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen