b&s #9 taper converted to R8

Greetings all, Last summer I bought a nice little horizontal mill. The spindle taper was a Brown & Sharpe #9. Looking up the taper info for the #9 taper and the R8 taper shows that the R8 taper is larger than the #9 taper at the back and the front. In the middle, where it doesn't matter, the #9 taper is larger. Anyway, after testing the spindle for hardness it turns out it was amenable to machining with carbide. So I removed the spindle and set it up in the lathe with the chuck holding the back end and the steadyrest supporting the front. After indicating the chuck end to .0001 runout I machined the taper out to R8. Bluing up a solid shank R8 taper tool enabled me to get the taper right on. Now all the existing R8 tooling in the shop can be used in the horizontal mill as well as the bridgeport mill. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Was the mill a clausing???

Reply to