What is it? Set 135

Another set has just been posted:

formatting link

Hopefully this won't show up as a double post, I first posted it an hour ago using Outlook and it still hasn't shown up, so I'm posting it again through Google.


Reply to
Loading thread data ...
788 nutcracker?

789 massive versus liquid filled, or magnetic brake?

791 tool for taking probes from cheese, or fruits?

greetings from germany, chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben
791. tree core sampler
formatting link

R.H. wrote:

Reply to

This jack (798) is standard equipment in a chemistry lab. It is used to set up experiments where you might need to raise and lower part of the apparatus e.g. a heating mantle.

Reply to
789. The ball is gas filled to make it almost have zero gravity. This makes it so light that it doesn't have enough gravity to develop momentum. Therefore it takes a long time to start the rolling. Once the rolling starts of course it will continue. I would wager that the length of time it takes to roll down the ramp is not linear... that it picks up speed as it goes along.

788 Button assembler.

786. Since Barr was a toy manufacturer I'm going to wager that that is a device that determines the tire size for their toys. by adding or removing rings it would control the size.

791 Maple tree corer for getting syrup. Or a soil corer for taking samples.

Well, those are my guesses.

Unknown wrote:

Reply to
786. Tool for measuring the depth to the piston top in an engine cylinder at Top-Dead-Center.

787. ?

788. Garlic press (also used by kids as a pseudo-midieval torture device).

789. ?

790. It's either a tool for putting tension on metal banding, or a tool for applying edge trim to carpet.

791. Whatever it is, don't let my dentist see it!!

792. ?


Reply to
789. Ball is partially full of a liquid? Mercury?

791. Used by foresters and timber cruisers to take a core sample of a tree. Coring auger?

Reply to
Bill Marrs

I have seen this ball work and it does indeed continue to roll slowly the length of the ramp.

Reply to

789. The ball is "partially" filled with a very high viscosity liquid.
Reply to

789: The ball is a thin metal shell. There's a lead weight in the bottom, as if somebody had poured the shell 20% full of molten lead. The weight is not stuck to the shell. There is also viscous fluid such as STP in the bottom of the shell.

As the ball starts to roll, the contact point moves ahead of the lead. It can't roll faster than the lead can slide on the viscous fluid.

Reply to
Bart Byers

"R.H." wrote in news:1160042044.956074.129940 @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

This is a good set puzzle-wise.

791. a coreing bit, for taking samples from trees.

792. This is a lab jack, for raising or adjusting heights of stuff in a chemistry lab.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang
788. Looks like some sort of press. Given the decoration and coloration, I'd guess it's for candy. 792. Jack for hold> Another set has just been posted:
Reply to
787 Yours looks so much like mine that I had to go look in my collection to make sure it was still there. It is a saw-tooth set. The star wheel has notches to different depths, for the height of the tooth. The thumb-screw from the side controls how far you bend the tooth. 790 looks like a cutter for trimming the edges of wallpaper. It slides in a track on a wooden straightedge. The little wheel does the cutting.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Given the name on the device, I'd say its a condom sizing machine used in the adult film industry.


Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

786: Postage scale 792: Used in chemisty lab
Reply to

According to R.H. :

I've only seen the one.

Anyway -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

786) Hmm ... interesting thing.

Does the center post come out that far by itself when the stepped disk is removed? It sort of looks like it is calibrated as a scale (the more you put on it, the deeper the rod goes and the higher the number).

Perhaps it is a combination desk ornament and postage scale (reads in ounces).

The stepped disk appears to screw onto the collar through which the rod protrudes, leading to the idea that it is a decorative cover instead of a functional part of the operation of the device.

787) This appears to be a device for un-bending something a precise amount.

788) A wine press for one grape at a time?

The "screw" does not look strong enough to apply much force. Perhaps it is for clamping a seal onto hot sealing wax?

Or perhaps it is for pressing a pocket watch case closed after it has been opened?

789) My suggestion is that it is about half full with a highly viscous fluid -- and the weight of the contained fluid is greater than the weight of the ball half above the fluid, so when placed on the inclined plane it only rolls as fast as the fluid can flow around the inside of the ball.

790) This looks to have an old phonograph needle installed in it.

It *might* be a holder for sharpening the needle.

Or it might use the needle as a scribe of some form. I've seen various tools (machinst's scribes) which used phonograph needles as replaceable scribe points.

Does the part holding the needle rotate as the lever is lifted?

791) This appears to be a tool for taking samples of some substance. I would suggest something like cheese. The big screw drives it into the object being sampled, and the small half-hollow rod allows withdrawing the sample from the screw.

792) A mini Lab-Jack. I've got two of the larger style, marketed by Cenco. I've seen the smaller ones as well. They were used where I worked both in chem labs for raising something to the right height, and in optical labs for adjusting the height of a lens or mirror on an optical bench.

It looks as though the top rod (in the upper photo) and the bottom rod (in the lower photo) has been replaced with a makeshift after the original failed from overloading.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I agree with it being a Saw Set. My info indicates it was called a "Stillman's Style". Maybe the fellows name who first patented it (if it even had a patent).

There sure was a lot of different Saw Sets made through the years...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

They've all been answered correctly:

786. Postal scale, the top piece is inverted and placed on the numbered rod.

787. Saw set

788. Nutcracker

789. Snail ball, it rolls slowly because a small heavy ball is inside along with a viscous liquid, the rate at which the smaller ball moves determines how fast it rolls down the ramp.

790. Chicago wall scriber

791. Increment borer, for finding the age of a tree.

792. The jack is for use in a laboratory.

A couple of new photos and some links have been posted on the answer page:

formatting link


Reply to

Selck made floor coverings. I imagine the disk part had a point. You put your linoleum against a well and roll the tool along the baseboard to scribe the linoleum with a line that will match the wall.

Reply to
Bart Byers

This is in response to DoN's question about the lever, and the tool's use on linoleum. The owner of the wall scriber states:

The needle is in a round brass "lug" about the size of quarter but about

3/4" thick, the needle has a set screw either to replace the needle or to set its distance out of the "lug". There is a screw through the lug with a knurled thumb wheel to cinch it down. Evidently you can rotate the needle slightly in or out by rotating the "lug". There are several index hash marks cast in the chrome portion to gauge the rotation. Moving the brass "lever" does not move it any way.

I have never been able to diagnose its use. It has two rollers on the "bottom" to make it easy to roll along. I have always assumed one would roll it on the floor. The needle would put a scratch on something that would still require a cut. I have always assumed linoleum. The brass "arm" or lever looking thing confuses me the most as I see no reason for it to move or purpose for it. I assume it would rub against the wall, but it would keep the needle a fair distance away from the wall if you were trying for a dead on the money fit. If any one could come with the directions, I would sure know just how it was used.

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.