R.H.

From rec.woodworking

#412: It's on the tip of my brain, I know I've seen that before somewhere. #413: That's a wire grip. You'd love to see the ones I used to use when building 500kv lines! #414: Dunno #415: Looks like an old ball joint separator #416: Tubing bender #417: Piston ring groove cleaner

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

"R.H." wrote in news:w31Ge.34249$B52.29431 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

413 - Part of a wire strainer kit 416 - copper tube bending spring

and that's burnt me out.

JB

Reply to
imabrowneye

412. Block for attaching a mason's line to corners. 413. Identified by previous posters. 414. Laser level, missing the level? 415. Valve spring compressor for side-valve engine? 416 and 417. Identified by previous posters.
Reply to
Dale Scroggins

#413: For lifting/handling sheet metal #414: A homebrewn laser level. But damnit, I really don't know what pieces of scrap you've put together for whatever one time job. :-) #415: Autsch! my balls! #417: Scriber with dull edge?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller
412: Piece of wood.

413: Pipe wrench / grip / lifting tool / etc.

414: Binder clips, rubber bands and a laser light...

415: Torture device?

416: "spring" from a "don't open too far" door device / door stop.

417: Corner line scribe (non-techical name?)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill
412 is a Mason's story-line cleat. Used for stretching a line from one end of a wall to the other for establishing the next course's height.
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

414: SuperMaul, with laser sight. It is missing its projectile, a pencil.
CGroth

#412: Mason line holder #413: Cable or wire gripper - often used to stretch barb wire #414: Laser, rubber bands and a bunch of paper clips with the silver handles removed? #415: Valve spring compressor #416: Tubing bender #417: Piston groove cleaner

Reply to
craftsman_ron

Whistle.

Wire grabber, for fence stretching or pulling a span of electrical wire tight.

Laser-propelled toy boat.

Spring compressor or Chinese proctology device.

Spring you put around tubing in hopes of bending it without kinking.

Spring-loaded thing for marking a line down the length of something.

John

Reply to
JohnM

And I always thought that 42 is the right answer!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

414 A modern green laser pointer on a home cludged mount for a telescope - use as a one-power finder.
Reply to
Bill B

#415 Valve spring compressor #416 Helicoil

Mark & Juanita

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

Interesting collection.

412) Hmm ... not really sure about this at all.

Perhaps some form of whistle? Blow into the narrow end and the air spreads out when it gets to the cross-hole and cycles up and back?

Or it could be a "serving" block, for wrapping a binding around a line (rope).

413) This is some kind of load binder. My guess is that these are intended to be used in pairs on opposite edges of thick sheet metal. Lifting ropes are attached to the eyes on the left, and as the ropes pull upwards (to the left as oriented for the photos) the clamp closes on the edge. (I've seen something like this for binding on rope, but this one looks better oriented to flat metal.) You would use them in pairs, as they would not be strong pulling at right angles to the gripped edge.

414) The missing part is a mirror. This is a laser pointer (rubber-banded to a conglomeration of binder clasps minus the handles.)

Point it at a mirror, and slight changes in the angle of the mirror will be magnified at as motion in the point where the dot hits -- perhaps ten feet or so away.

415) For drawing two ball-shaped (or half-ball shaped) objects closer together. Perhaps on the ends of two lines, to allow them to be joined under load.

416) An *easy* one. This is for bending metal tubing (usually copper but other possibilities are there.) Often found in company with a tubing flaring kit. (A different size of this is needed for each size of tubing.) The spring keeps the sides of the tubing from spreading during the bending.

417) No real idea, other than something like a disc with a center hole goes on the pin at the end of the upper handle, and that the thumbscrew acts to limit the travel of the arm somewhat.

Now to see what others have said on this batch.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

417 piston ring groove cleaner
Reply to
Bill B

I've been trying to post one non-tool photo each week, but it's getting harder and harder to find something good for each set. I've got enough tools to last a little while but I have to scrounge every week for a decent close-up or other non-hardware pieces.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Astonishing enough, someone has solved it. Well, I'm gonna ignore the obious unobious things and stop complaining. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I've never used one and was going by what the seller told me. I did some searching after seeing your post and found a site where they sell internal and external bending springs, not sure when it would be appropriate to use one instead of the other.

As you stated, mine looks like an external one.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Are you shure about that? I can't quite imagin how it serves the job. Is it for automobile usege?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

It compresses the valve springs on flathead engines.

Reply to
Peter DiVergilio