"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner
891: Guess: Lifting wedge. Used to lift septic tank cover. Shove into round hole in heavy stone or concrete thing. Lower part then rotates and wedges. Lift cover, clean septic tank.

892: Guess: Nutcracker.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

#893 looks like a powerline fuse. Sample:

Mark and Kim Smith

890 looks like a window crank assembly 893 looks like an electrical high voltage line fuse
Reply to
Snag
892 is a cork roller, used to soften corks used for stoppers in a chemistry lab - the companion to the set of cork borers shown in a previous post.

I believe that 889 is an > Another set has just been posted:

Reply to
joelblatt

892 -- damned if that doesn't look like a leather belt skiving tool!

893 -- a "cricket". It's a breaker/fuse for a local residential power transformer.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

892 is for resizing (compressing) corks.
Reply to
Unknown

The set seems to start with 890. Am I the only one not seeing 889?

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

892 is, as a couple of others have identified, a cork roller. Used for compressing corks for easier insertion. I have seen them only in laboratories, but they may also have been used for wine bottles, etc. 894 are splitting wedges. Much more fun than a hydraulic splitter, 'cause they used gunpowder. Good for breaking up stumps. The red cloth was probably to help you find it after the blast.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin
891 is an early expansion device for fixing a ring to concrete
Reply to
Dave W

889 is from the previous set. There's a link to it at the bottom of the page.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Posting from RCM

890 looks like an old window crank

894a & b I'm going to guess they're old maple syrup taps. The red cloth might be a flag so you can locate it later on.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

And the ring provides a place from where to hang the bucket.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

Sorry for the confusion Wes..it was from last week. I seldom participate in the What Is It? thread, and on a lark, decided to look over the most recent entries.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

That's a great link, thanks!

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

snipped-for-privacy@progressivelogic.com

These are not syrup taps, they are much larger than the 3" taps that I have, and are for an entirely different and more exciting purpose.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
895 a scale for ... money coins? to proove them by their weigth if they are genuine or false?

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben

Haven't been able to verify any of the the guesses yet for this device, but I just listed most of them on the answer page:

- Optical comparator calibration unit

- Measuring device for recon aircraft images

- Used in cartography to check a printed scale

- Coincidence gauge

- Scale for measuring motion of something behind it

And I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to the manufacturer of it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

893 is the fuse that goes into a fuse cutout on an electrical distrubtion line. It serves a dual purpose. It (obviously) acts line a fuse for an overcurrent condition. It's also used to "take out" a section of line for maintenance. The lineman would use his hotstick to grab the loop in the top to open and close the cutout.

You can see an example of one here

todd

Reply to
todd