where's a good place to hunt down a 27mm NMTB (ISO) face mill holder?

see title - seems to be common enough anywhere but in the USA - so I either need an arbor, or I need to find someone who wants a really nice 100 mm indexable facemill - any suggestions? trades?

Reply to
William Noble

According to William Noble :

It would be nice to duplicate the information in the body, since not everybody's newsreader can easily display the "Subject: " header and the body at the same time.

Where are you measuring that 27mm? Most that I know are numbers like NMTB-30 NMTB-40 NMTB-50 and such.

According to _Machinery's Handbook_, they start at 5, and go up by steps of 5 until they reach 60.

The taper per foot is 3.5" on all of them. (And it matches the taper on the tapered part of an R8 collet, FWIW. :-)

They are normally classified by the diameter at the gauge line, which is the big end diameter.

Let's see what 27mm calculates out to -- 1.063", which is close to a 25 taper. That one is 1.000" at the gauge line, and often the tool holders' taper goes a bit larger than the gauge line diameter.

However, the smallest standard size seems to be the 30 taper, so you may have to make your own.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

ok don, you win - not only did I not say what I really needed, I put a fragment of info in the title only - well, phooey.

I have this cool metric facemill. I have a mill that accepts NMTB 40 taper holders (an Abene, if it matters). the facemill mounts in the usual way by being placed over a cylinder on the holder and then being held in place by a large headed screw that threads into the pin - just like a 1.24 inch or .75 inch holder - but this nice facemill has a hole that is 27 mm rather than some inch size. Now, it turns out that 27 mm is an ISO standard for these tapers (based on my wandering around the web), and I find them manufactured in India, and available anywhere except here. Hence my question/offer to trade.

I actually have an alternative since I'll be traveling soon, and that is to find one on my travels, but if YOU wanted one, where would you look without thousands of dollars of airfare?

Reply to
William Noble

According to William Noble :

O.K. Now it is clear what you want.

Hmm ... I would probably consider the challenge of making one worthwhile, if I did not have to go to India for other reasons.

Or -- I would try to contact someone in the UK (common language, and all that) and see if someone there could pick one up for me -- perhaps in trade for me getting something which is easier to get here and sending it to them.

There are a number of UK people here, and there are a lot more in a mailing list focusing on model engineering should I need to do this. (FWIW, my Nichols mill uses a 40 taper as well -- not just NMTB, but pretty much any such taper can be adapted to that -- I've done a couple of CAT-40 ones for example.

I guess that you *could* send me the facemill, thus making it

*my* problem instead of yours, and see what happens. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

KBC Tools, or Thomas Skinner and Sons, are two comanies with a fair bit of penetration into the Canadian machining marketplace. Both stock European made metric tooling, and would be worth a look. For that matter, any Sandvik or Kennametal dealer.

After that, Ebay. Lots of tooling coming up in England, and postage is a bit of a hit, but can be factored in to the price paid at the end of the deal.

The dirty home shop way would be to cut down a larger one or sleeve up a smaller toolholder. Not THE most perfect way, but a way.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I was thinking that the OP might be able to use his metric face mill on a 1" shell mill arbor if he turned an appropriate bushing on the lathe.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

my thoughts, originally, grant - but I'd probably use 3/4 inch so the sleeve would be thick enough to handle (27 mm is not much bigger than one inch, right?). But, there is another problem - the driving dogs are dramatically larger for this mill than a 3/4 inch or 1 inch facemill. So, I am imagining that the ISO specs would take care of that. I have yet to see a metric facemill holder on the US E-bay, oddly enough. but maybe on my travels (no, not to India, by the way).

Reply to
William Noble