What is it? #130

756: lamp for old slides or movie projector 757: "Elastorator", used for bloodless castration of bulls. A rubber ring is expanded by the metal fingers and placed at the base of the bull's anatomy. This cuts off circulation to that part and in a few weeks, it sloughs off. 758: Shaft of a dart (?) 759: Distiller for water (?) 760: Primitive version of tire spikes (?)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Mark & Juanita

We used sharp knives on sheep and pigs. Let the doc do the quarter horses. I only had to hold them down. Karl

Howard R Garner wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk

760 looked like a caltrop to me, as well, but the apparent socket on the end confused me. I'm leaning toward lightning rod tip.
Reply to
Pythor

Pythor wrote: ) 760 looked like a caltrop to me, as well, but the apparent socket on ) the end confused me. I'm leaning toward lightning rod tip.

The observation that it has corroded in a green colour would indicate that it's made of copper, or some copper alloy. That would point to lightning as well.

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

For whatever reason, it works. My job was to hold the tail parallel to the back while my uncle did the pinch. I'm not clear on the physiology of why it effectively made a steer from a bull calf.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

And lamented in the smash hit "Pegged in the Head With a Lawn Dart" by the band Ed's Redeeming Qualities.

**************************************************** It was the third of July and the weather was fine Ed brought the hot dogs, the croquet set was mine But the red ball was missing and three mallets were bent Ed suggested lawn darts so to K-Mart we went

We looked by the yard games, we looked by the grills But we couldn't find lawn darts come high water or hills We talked to the sales clerk and she started to cry She said "They're off the shelves now," and she told us both why:

A kid was pegged in the head with a lawn dart Her dad didn't see 'er, that's the worst part; A kid was pegged in the head with a lawn dart So they're now off the shelves at the K-Mart

Well we both felt so bad that we gave up the search Ed went to bed, and I went to church And now we never grill hot dogs, and we don't play yard games Since we heard that sad story things just aren't the same

Pegged in the head with a lawn dart (lawn dart!) Her dad didn't see 'er, that's the worst part; Pegged in the head with a lawn dart So they're now off the shelves at the K-Mart

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Sounds like an interesting band, I was expecting to find them to be a hard driving angst filled rock type but instead found that their music is alternative/contemporary folk. I listened to a couple of their songs but couldn't find a cut of Lawn Dart on the web, they remind me a little of a band I used to like called Balancing Act.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

According to R.H. :

I'm quite late at getting to this -- my wife has been in the hospital since the 24th -- but I'll take a try at it before reading what others have posted (Including probably the answers by now).

756) A "dark lantern" -- with a shutter to allow it to remain lit without revealing its presence. Such were mentioned frequently in the Sherlock Holmes stories. 757) Looks like a tool for stretching the end of a hose or tube prior to slipping it onto a fitting. 758) No real clue on this one.

759) Looks like a thermopile -- designed to generate electricity from heat from a kerosene lantern. Such were used to power radios during WWII, IIRC.

760) Either a spike for the top of a wall to make it uncomfortable to climb, or to go on the top of a lightning rod, to dissipate the power of a lightning stroke after forming a corona path to it.

761) I can do it easily from looking at the illustration, but I don't quite feel up to describing it in words.

A drawing would make it easier to show -- but I'll bet others have already done the task, since I am coming in so late.

Now to see what has been said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Give her our wishes for a speedy recovery.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

I was wondering why you hadn't posted, best of luck to your wife for a quick recovery, hope things work out for the best.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

According to R.H. :

Thanks to both of you who have posted already, and in advance to others who may post. I am having difficulty keeping up with usenet at the moment -- between all the visits and extra things which I need to do. And to compound it, the air conditioning failed at the early stages of her hospitalization, and cooked some computers. I had several disk drives on a still critical but holder machine lock up from the heat, and one older machine cooked its power supply. Luckily, I had another chassis of the same machine with a flakey CPU card, so I could combine parts to revive that. (And of course, it was not a normal PC, so I could not just go to the store for a cheap power supply. :-)

It is obviously time to upgrade some of the hardware.

Once my wife is home and healthy. At least she is keeping up her sense of humor -- and is getting better each day now -- unlike at the start of this.

Thanks much, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

My best wishes for her complete and full recovery.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
kfvorwerk

According to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com :

She's been sprung from the ICU -- and may be home from the hospital sometime near the end of this week.

The last problem drive was powered down (using the key in the cage) pulled out, and burped, after the AC had been restored and the temperature pulled down to reasonable.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to Gunner :

Thanks Gunner, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hi DoN,

That's some really good news to hear.

Maybe that will give you just enough time to get the House, computers and other odds and ends back in order first.

Best wishes and keep us posted on the progress.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Reply to
kfvorwerk

That would be nice. The AC's A-coil will be replaced Friday, which happens to be the way that Dolores is undergoing a procedure, so I will be free to be here for the AC fellow.

Dolores is getting better each day. I *may* be bringing her home as soon as Saturday -- but that remains hanging on the outcome of the procedure.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Bet it crushed the blood vessels as well, so the testis just dried up.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn