What is it? CLIX

This week's set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
917. Is a fold down ceiling ladder to access the atic. 920, Ajustable shot measure for shotgun shells. Thanks Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

If 917 is a fold-down ceiling ladder, then the dimension quoted seems strange... 16.75 inches for a little over 4 steps makes a 4 inch rise per step. I suggest it is something else, or the number is wrong.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

No. 920 is easy -- a shot measure for loading shotgun shells (assuming it is marked in ounces.) If marked in Drams it is for measuring black power for teh same purpose.

917 appears to be a set of folding stairs. Usually fitted to the uppermost story cealing for access to the attic. We had a set like this in the house I grew up in. 915 - 91bb - both objects appear to be bubble protractors. Used to measure angles by attaching to a bar. Set the bar on the surface to be measured and zero the level. Read angle off the scale.

I have a modern version of this tool. Made from plastic but functions teh same.

Ibid (k4556ATinetDOTcoDOTth)

Reply to
k4556

915 (a,b): measures an angle/incline relative to "level"

916

917- folding ladder attic stairs (complicated version)

918

919

920- adjustable measure (kitchen? gunpowder?)

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

915 : Inclinometers. Both look like the types that can be attached to straightedges to measure over longer distances. 916 :

917 : Fold down stairs for a childs play house? They are a bit small for an adult

918 : Old can opener?

919 :

920 : Shot measure for loading shotshells.
Reply to
Steve W.

915a: Looks simple enough, it measures inclination of some item; you put the bottom against the thing whose angle you are measuring, adjest the top so it's level (using the bubble level), and read off the angle. 915b: Looks more expensive.

916: A mold, for what I don't know.

917: Escape ladder

918: Some sort of security wrench

919: I think they're upside-down.

920: Perhaps used for maintaining consistent spacing of some items.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

915a,b) These appear to be devices for cliping on long straight edges Perhaps wood ones in the first case, certainly metal ones in the second case, to allow one to measure the angle of slope of whatever the straightedge is resting on. 916) Hmm ... a weight of some sort -- and not quite right for curtain pulls, so I'll suggest that they may be for the curtains themselves -- perhaps for curtains used in a theater to pull in front of the stage. 917) This looks like a folding attic stairs which disappears between the rafters when not in use. 918) Interesting, and hard to judge the diameter of the ring. It looks to me to be for cutting holes -- perhaps in the wax poured over preserves -- or perhaps for cleaning the holes in candlesticks which have become filled with spilled wax. 919) Perhaps for supporting insecticide candles? Perhaps the sulfur ones used for decontaminating a house infected with termites? 920) A powder measure -- I think for shotgun loads. The bottom can be adjusted to different volumes of powder by rotating it and moving the pin in the notch to a different stop.

Now to see what others have said -- and then perhaps go to sleep. :-) (Late getting to this again.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Four of the six have been answered correctly, more details can be found on the answer page:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.