What is it? CLXXVIII

This week's set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

SPOILER for #1035 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

#1035 - This is a shot tower for making lead shot. Molten lead was dropped at the top and had time during free-fall to form a nice sphere before being quenched at the bottom.

This one is apparently at the old Peters Cartridge Factory in Kings Mills Ohio (hence the big "P").

Ciao, Chappy.

Reply to
Chappy

1033 is an aggricultural flail
to seperate grains from their husks.

robby

Reply to
Robby Goetschalckx

1031 looks like a clay pigeon.
Reply to
Steve R.

and again some silly guesses from germany

1031 clay pidgeon 1032 looks like some targeting device, is it a sight (Zielfernrohr)? 1032 second look .. no, must be something other. at the right something like a hammer, with mechanical safety mechanism (the thing with the ring pull) ... some ignition mechanism? 1033 a flail 1034 nice hammer, but i dont know for which spezial purpose 1035 a big P at the top, a parking garage? (no, i´m joking) 1036 no idea how this unit can be utilized. you can use it to get the navigational angle of house walls? (again joking)

greetings chris

Reply to
Christian Stü
1031 Looks like a shotgun target/bird.

1032 ? Quick-release Remote-release Air operated thing to release or drop something heavy remotely. Like in the TV commercial where a crane lifts a car and then, when the stunt is ready, drops it.

1033 Flail Threshing tool. 1034 Caulking hammer(s).

1035 Shot tower. Drop molten metal from the top, by the time it has fallen to the bottom, it is hardened into small spheres. For many years there was a round, cone-topped shot tower visible from route-95 in Philadelphia.

1036 These look line mapping tools, used on a mapping table, similar to something posted here some time ago.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1031 Clay Pidgeon 1032 ?? 1033 Thrashing Flail 1034 Bung Hammer?? 1035 Shot Tower 1036 ??

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

1034: Caulking hammer- used to drive rope caulk into the seams of a wood ship.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

It is 178. You could have found out easily yourself, e.g. at

jue

Reply to
Jürgen Exner

1031 - clay pigeon

1033 - flail

1034 - caulking mallet
Reply to
joeljcarver

The flail and the clay pidgeon, I knew but are done to death.

1032 is a release mechanism, like the mythbusters use to drop cars, elevators, etc.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

1031. Clay pigeon for skeet (trap?) shooting 1032. WAG alert - explosive bolt to release airplane canopy 1033. Threshing tool for separating wheat from chaff 1034. Boat builder's caulking mallets 1035. Hose drying for fire fighters 1036. Level with inclinometer and compass R
Reply to
RicodJour

Wow, I know what two of them are! Yay, me, since I don't often have any idea at all....

1033: a threshing flail

1034: a shipwright's caulking mallet (used to drive cotton cord or oakum bewteen the planks of a woden ship or boat.)

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

It's really a hose drying tower for a fire station. Look at the long shot and you can see the two engine bay doors at the bottom.

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

1032 looks more like a model of an automatic pyrotechnic parachute release device for cargo drops. The load connects to the botton (left in the picture) and when pressure is released on ground contact a cartridge fired and releases the load. Jim Chandler
Reply to
Jim Chandler

1031. Early Devo hat prototype. 1032. What Boston holds up ceiling tiles with. 1033. Nunchucks for a guy who only exercises on one side. 1034. Hammer. 1035. Acrophobia classes. 1036. A compass to find your way around, a periscope to look around corners, and a hygrometer to let you know if they've just showered. 1037. Angle-finder.
Reply to
B.B.

If 1031 turns out NOT to be a clay pigeon, my guess is that it's a wooden "gavel block" used to protect the bench top when the judge gets too excited.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
1031: Early Clay bird? Gavel target?

1033: Grain Flail

1034: Caulking Mallet for wooden boats

1035: Shot tower, I believe the one at Peters near I-71 in Cincinnati

1036: Surveying tool

1036b: Level/protractor for setting/measuring inclines.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

A lot of people are calling 1031 a clay pidgeon, but I just can't see that.

In fact, it looks a lot like a weight or balance weight for a scale to me. The only reason I rule out clay pidgeon is due to the what looks like to me corrosion mark on the right side of it. Clay pidgeons are not shiny well finished items.

Really not sure, could be a clay pidgeon, but that mark on the right side looks like rust to me so I'm thinking its a stacking scale weight. The only reason I don't absolutely think so is because it doesn't have a slot or obvious way to hook it on a scale.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Is 1035 a shot tower? It doesn't look old enough but I remember seeing a picture of one that looked like that.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.