Fans of "How It's Made" TV Show Here?

No... I don't work for them, get $ or anything else...
I'm a huge fan of the TV show and now this is an interesting web site that
seems to have the same type of info in a different format...
http://www.madehow.com/
V8013-R
It seems similar to Ratzenberger's Made in Merka, altho I haven't seen enough of either to thoroughly compare. Ditto some of the Modern Marvels stuff on History Channel.
I find, tho, a kind of wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am quality to many of these shows, in that when all is said and done, I often haven't taken away a lot, ito of real understanding. Yeah, I see a lotta shit goin on, and yeah, most it's inneresting (entertaining??), but none of it really "registers".... Could be my ADHD/diluted meds......
But, occasionally you do see something you can relate to. For example, on Made in Merka, with U.S. Pole (no foolin, an outside lighting company using, you guessed it, big-assed poles), I saw spinning for the first time, and saw immediately that any muthafucka with a lathe and a handmade wooden die, and some kind of lever, can spin!
But, as long as they don't stick in this unRealityTV Merkin Chopper-type emotional fukndrama, I cain't complain too much. Literally cain't watch 'Chopper (it went from interesting to peculiar to just bad to nauseating), or any of those other bullshit car shows, anymore. Esp. the ghetto ones. goodgawd..... yo.
What is always at once fascinating and quite intimidating is looking at these gonzo facilities and all the mechanization (and computerization), with the realization that Sheeit, all that shit is a *custom made one-off*, just for that application! wow... Be it flipping KrispyfuknCreme donuts, bagging Lays taterchips, bottling soders, putting soles on shoes, making tires, whatever, I always ask, Goodgawd, just how much did all that mechanized artistry *cost*, and how did they goddamm AFFORD it????
Wow....
Makes moms'n'pops seem like a miracle.
And, In what's left of my conspiracy-theorized brain, I wonder if all this isn't by some design, where through the guise of entertainment/edumacation, some *intimidation* is not going on.... Or, put alternatively, My dick is so fukn big you all better not even pull yours's out.... Another way of keeping the rabble in place, chewing their low-carb cud, and swilling Coke.
Along these lines, my own 15" is somewhat of a solace, but not much, since ahm *still* fukn broke. Not as broke as jb, or as unstable (cuz my case my bennies cover my meds), but still, perty broke....
Oh shit, Paris just came on..... gotta go.
--
------
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:01:15 -0400, "Proctologically Violated"

Google "Industry on Parade". You can find some of the video online
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

I have a good laugh about "how it's made", can you think of ANY TV show with lower production costs? I think the former record was held by the PBS show that had a chopper flying over places, taking pictures and setting it to mucsic. This show doesn't even have to hire a chopper, and most of the time there is NO ONE in it.
About the metal spinning and how easy it looked (another fellow brought it up).... it does LOOK easy, almost any craft does when watching experts. I expect I would wind up with my blood all over the walls. There is a spinning video on youtube and the spinner is missing a couple of fingers.
LLB

This is the whole premise for most of the New Genre of ShitTV. Zero SAG costs. Some may be lower than others, but all are dert cheap, production-wise.
Altho, as of late, the concentration of bullshit in ShitTV is so intense, they need more and more """writers""" and producers to choreograph/coordinate said bullshit.
I remember a ditty on This Old House, the progenitor for all that followed house-wise, where it took about 15 takes to get a piece of goddamm sheetrock correct.... Sleight of hand, even back then.
Cain't get much cheaper than Mike Rowe, on Dirty Jobs. I mean, what's he got? Him, one camera guy, and an digital editor. And Mike, I bleeve, does his own writing/scripting. Intelligent guy. One of the few watchable programs. Wish he would do something more along the lines of "interesting jobs". Or, jobs period, to give a cross section of Merkin Werkin Class Misery.
Whilst jobs still exist.
--
------
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Regardless of the production costs, they still manage to take a camera in and up close to machines and processes that an average citizen would never be able to see. That's the value of the show.
Dan Murphy here on AMC posts links to videos of machining stuff once in a while. Some really neat stuff.
--
------
message

Wow. I think this is the first post I've ever read by you that didn't have a word spelled in PVspeak... <evil grin>
V8013-R

My bad... Should have read,
"Some really neat stuff, yo."
Note: Since "yo" and "bea" are essentially syntactically equivalent, one can use them interchangeably, pretty much at one's caprice.... bea.
Methinks we have too much free time. :)
--
------
wrote in

Here's most of what I have up at the mo'
<http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tsugami+cnc
Or I guess you could follow the link in the sig <duh> I forgot about that.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:54:12 -0400, "Proctologically Violated"

An excellent show!
My wife likes Mike's pecs. <G>
Ever seen Survivorman? That would really get your SAG dander up! Imagine this... A guy with an idea makes up his own show, writes the music. "performs it", films it, edits it, and doesn't have to pay a bunch of do-nothings to sit around and collect union-scale!
Are you a SAG member or a member of one of the various lame-ass production unions?
I used to love when one of my touring crew members slid a stage monitor 5 feet, and the union house dickheads tried to organize a penalty strike. All because nobody spent 1/2 hour+ trying to find and peel one of them away from the crew buffet or outdoor smoking area long enough to move it for us. <G>

Did you say crew buffet?? !! <g>
Not SAG, but my union occasionally crosses paths with their union, and I got to hang out with a bunch of extras, and the two gerlz who were priviledged enough to get paid SAG rates to massage Meg Ryan's feet, after an oh-so tiresome take of about 7.5 seconds. <whew>
But man, the food was incredible!
Yeah, they call it working "out of title" and unions get pretty bent overdat.
Seems totally absurd to the outside world, is hated by management, and indeed violates many of the tenets of cooperation, altruism, efficiency/productivity, and all the other good things in a good world. But, the world in fact sucks, and this union mentality shit is a backlash to a long history of abuse, and likely much worse abuse in the future by management et al. There is an unfortunate logic to this, and to strict seniority systems (you know, where actual competence is irrelevant). It's really a pick-yer-poison type deal: Go fukn loony with a corrupt merit-based system (where everyone plays a kind of "office chicken" after 5 pm, to see who cracks and goes home first--I could do it 'til about 8-9 pm. Now I get paid by the literal minute. <g>) OR Get strangled by a brain-dead seniority system, but where you at least can stay sane, albeit a little recalcitrant (hey, dats not my job....)
Unions will eventually lose The Battle by default, by definition, when there are simply no more jobs left, proportionately speaking.
Malthus, donchaknow.... Oh, and the P4 chip....
We are headed toward an ass-fucking of cosmic proportions, of astronomically deep penetration--think black hole.
And, basically, we have brought it on ourselves, with boucou help from the P4 chip. 1. We tip our philistinic hand every time we buy sumpn or click dat mouse, information-wise--sorta like playing fuknPoker with a camera behind our shoulder. 2. We've gone hog-wild over Reality TV and GirlsGonefuknWild, perhaps the most degenerate and reprobate pubic offering ever devised. 3. Speaking of Poker: If Golf wadn't bad enough, and as if ketchup were a vegetable, now Poker is sport-ish enough to be aired on ESPN--AND the Travel Channel. goodeffingawd.... Just HOW did DAT happen??????
When the Bilderbergers saw us watching fuknPoker, that was the draw that broke the camel's hand <g>...
We have so willingly eviscerated our own culture, we have essentially written the following message--in blood on whitewashed walls-- to the Powers Dat Be (the Bilderbergers, of course): "Whatever crumbs you thought we might have deserved, QOL-wise, as your Servant Rabble, we shall show you that that was far too generous, and really all we are worthy of is a mile-long trough of flowing slop, running water in our gutters to eventually move the old feces along, cots in windowless zinc-roofed barracks so we can at least fuck (variously) at night, and old 55 gal chemical drums to catch the fresh water runoff from said zinc roofs."
And bleeve me, dats exactly what we're headed for.
Start practicing yer dumpster-diving NOW, muthafuckas, cuz it's gonna get real competitive perty soon. We may not even need running water in our gutters to move the feces along in the gutters--there might be enough blood for that.
--
------
I was in the orchestra for a local performance of "Disney on Parade". We had set up when someone came over and told us we had to move 6 feet to the right. The conductor threw a fit and said our union could not pick up a music stand or , God forbid, a chair. After an hour or so of sitting some stage hands came over and moved us. Not end of story.... after an hour of rehearsal the director decided we were facing the wrong way and needed to move again... this time, it was his idea and we were all directed to pick up our stuff and move. How the tides change!
message wrote:

Unions are nothing more than poker chips in politicians pocket. They are the white man's NAACP with the real benifits going to the groups leaders while the rank and file Pay,Pay ,Pay Legalized extorsion plain and simple. Yes ...there was a time when unions were the savior of working class ...but ... like $.50 a gallon gas it's no more ten a memory
Unions are GREAT. (If you're a business agent, and official, or part of the staff.)
Steve

Pehaps you should ask why we should be providing a free lunch in the first place. Instead of pissing and moaning about some proposed policy change from a quarter century ago.
If people can't provide three squares a day for their own progeny, perhaps they should be punished for being dirtbags, their kids taken away, and put in a place where they are taken care of properly. At least until such a time as the "parents" get their acts together. Sheesh. Even if you are on food stamps the least you can do is get your lazy ass out of bed in the morning and slap together a PB&J for the little bastards to take to school for lunch.
Did you raise any children? Did you feed them?
You have the sensibilities of a four year old child. Or is that your "liberal values" shining through?
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
Proctologically Violated wrote:

Were you aware that a "Merkin" is a pubic wig as well as a corruption of "American", it came up recently on the BBC program "Balderdash & piffle". I makes your comment quite amusing. See http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmerkin.html , google also has pictures of merkins.

So I guess when I shorten my Great American Pubic (Public) to Merkin Pubic, it becomes semi-redundant, eh? I'll have to watch that. Boy, itsa small lexicographical world, idnit?? :)
What was/is the purpose of a pubic wig, fergodsakes??
Every time I think our culture is guilty of unwarranted and unprecedented stupidity, I find out I'm wrong. :)
--
------

These days for decoration, a British burlesque artist has a diamond studded merkin, but the word dates back hundreds of years and it was suggested it was a vital tool of the prostitute trade back when they may have had syphilitic sores and wanted to hide it from prospective customers.
Someone on the program joked it was quite appropriate calling you merkins as you got a guy called Bush in charge.

Hilarious. Indeed, speaking of syphilitic political sores. That has, essentially, infected the world.
Codpieces were jeweled, as well. Family jewels?? :)
--
------