What is it? CLXIX

This week's set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

and again some stupid guesses from germany

977 for bending metal wire

978 to remove round shaped things by pulling them at their outer shape

979 carpenter hammer. the sharp tip can be used to fasten the hammer to the wood, to keep hands free. or to use the hammer as a handle to move heavy wooden objects

980 a whatthehellisthis

981 no idea, not even a whatthehellisthis

982 this one is needed when your neighbour uses his fuel driven lawn mower at sunday afternoon. but you can utilize cheaper things than damascus steel for this.

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben
978. Automotive or IC engine valve spring compressor. 979. I'm guessing a tack hammer. Point is for making a hole to start the tack. 982. Assum> This week's set has just been posted:
Reply to
kfvorwerk

978. Battery terminal puller
Reply to
John Husvar

978 KD Tools Valve Spring Compressor. Allows changing of valve seals on OHV engines without removing head. Use of compressed air through sparkplug hole or stuffing nylon rope down sparkplug hole and bringing piston up to hold valve in place is highly advised.

I have one.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

982. Knife for shucking oysters.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

posted:

I'd say it's a Sgian Dubh ("Black Knife") from Scottish history. It gets its name from the black wood that makes the handle.

Reply to
N Hurst

979: Upholstery hammer, broken. 982: Boot knife
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

981 - Klingon speculum.

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

982 is a boot knife. Although it could also be carried in an arm sheath, it's a bit long for that.
Reply to
Barbara Bailey

According to R.H. :

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

977) Hmm ... looks sort of like a quick-change blade for an axe, but more likely to be used for something slower speed, like perhaps a blade for a hydraulically operated wire cutter for large gauge wires, such as perhaps 4-0 gauge. 978) A cheap version of a pulley or gear puller. The two shorter inner arms press on the center of whatever it is, while the outer arms hook under the edge of the pulley or whatever and pull up on it relative to the central part. 979) Looks like a hammer tailored for installing and removing fence staples, with an afterthought for pulling nails as well.

Fairly light weight for the length of the handle, I think.

980) Not sure about this. Perhaps for appling seals to sealing wax? 981) No guess -- and I think that the Neatorama guesses are all off the track as well. 982) This looks like a knife balanced for a knife thrower's act.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

#977: Looks to be some sort of replaceable blade for a power tool.

#978: Gear puller

Mark & Juanita

I thought it was a box hammer when I took the photo, but now I think your answer is correct.

The answer page for this week's set can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Don't know about eye damage, but a cows tail can be pretty tough, especially if coated with little balls of S**T! Been batted pretty hard more than once while milking using machines, as you still have to squat down and service the milker. Short term cure is to yank the tail up between the leg and the udder. I can understand wanting something like #981 when spending more time in the danger zone when hand milking.

Nahmie

Reply to
Nahmie

"R.H." wrote

981. I didn't know that there was a need for such a product, but apparently when milking cows, serious eye injury can occur from the switching of the cow tail.

As an old farmboy, I can assure you that cow's tails are dangerous. Particularly if they have anything old and dried in it. Hair grows off the end of it and it can often reach to the shoulder area.

The tail is the primary way that cows get rid of insects on their back. And they become deadly accurate with those tails. And there is enough muscle behind it that they can easily cause injury to a human face or eyes.

If a cow was troublesome with the tail when we tried to milk her, we just tied it up with some rope. They would get mad, but we got our milk and did not get hurt.

Reply to
Lee Michaels