I got to tweaking my scale brackets for the sliders, and now each are square to the table movement. I used a DRO kit from Spokane Metal Works. Tried using the included .125 aluminum end brackets for the X scale, but that placed the scale too far out in front of the bed, where it interfered with the X axis gib lock. So I drilled and tapped the bed for10x24 screws (#25 tap drill) and mounted the scale directly to the bed.
I took a rectangle of .064 aluminum and used the included steel slider bracket to scribe the mounting holes for the slider screws. Drilled a hole for the gib lock screw to pass through, and one for the factory travel index screw. Between the two mounting screws on the slider and the travel index screw, it forms an "L" and won't pivot on any screw.
I used an M3 lockwasher on each slider mounting screw between the plate and the slider to move the aluminum plate toward the bed, and I used a flat washer between the cross table and the plate to keep the plate from bending as you tightened the index screw.
On the Y axis, I mounted the scale on the top of the base (front to rear), and used an L bracket to fasten the slider to the cross table. I used a flat washer and a toothed lock washer to adjust the distance between the upright part of the L with the cross table.
Looks decent. It would look smarter if I used a brake to form the Y axis bracket. The front slider bracket could have had two 90 degree bends in order to eliminate the need for washers, but....