What is it? CXXIX

This week's set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
753. The lamps and cover suggest that something goes on the glass plate and is lit by the lamps. Perhaps something goes on the glass plate under the cover and then the lamps shine onto it, something where part of the item has been coated somehow with light sensitive chemicals. I would say its for making printed circuit boards but it looks too old for that. Something to do with making plates for a printing press of some kind perhaps?

754. Looks like a clamp for some kind of scientific glassware perhaps (with the base resting on the metal extensions and the neck or body being held by the jaws of the clamp.

755. Some kind of mechanical, electric or power type chisel? Its hard to tell but there might have been an electric cable that goes into the handle at the bottom that powers it and then the trigger is pressed to make the blade/bar move in and out.
Reply to
Jonathan Wilson

I'm sure that 755 is an air chisel with an extra long bit.

I am totally lost on all other pictures this time. Nice job RH.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG
753 is a photographic contact printing frame. When larger negs or plates were used there was no need to enlarge, so the negs were sandwiched with photographic paper (in "contact") and exposed to the light from the bulbs in the base. It could also be called a proofer.

I'm so happy he's branching into photographic stuff... I have a hope of getting a few right !

Reply to
drifwood

750. It looks like a screwdriver whose split handle can be folded down to increase torque. 751. No idea - but that shouldn't prevent a wild assed guess, right? Might be a sand rake for small Japanese Zen gardens. 752. Part of a clock dial with Roman numerals. 753. Light table for photography. It looks like some of the socket bases are replacements. 754. Bottle cap crimper. 755. Pneumatic chisel. R
Reply to
RicodJour

753. Is a photographers homemade darkroom enlarger, the lifting cover plate is where the negative glass plate is placed. The bulbs act as the light source.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Jonathan Wilson wrote: ...

No, it's a pneumatic connector. You're right in general, however, it's a "pneumatic hand-held jackhammer" to paraphrase...

Reply to
dpb

750. Hard to see the blade clearly in perspective but I'm saying it is an early version of an angled screwdriver. Might have another specific purpose but the blade isn't clearly enough shown to tell--perhaps deliberate obfuscation??? :)

751. Screed -- for what particular purpose, I don't know. Could be for large tile, perhaps...

Somebody already got the pr

Reply to
dpb

752. Roman Numeral 4 on a clock.

754. Pop-up Sprinkler wrench

755. Chicago Pneumatic Air Chisel and with a chisel attachment. As common as the impact wrench and air ratchet in the automotive business.
Reply to
Leon

Jack hammer? Absolutely known as an Air Chisel in the automotive business and is commonly used to cut steel exhaust pipes using a split chisel.

Reply to
Leon

My guesses:

750. Diving screwdriver 751. Brick laying/mortaring tool 752. IIII (on a clock or watch?) 753. Frame for creating blueprint copies. 754. Bottle cap crimper/remover 755. Air chisel

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

Would a wood handle be good for a tool repeatedly exposed to water under pressure? Bronze will corrode in salt water.

I think was designed long ago for working around magnets, and the pivot is to use it in tight places. I wonder if it was for working on generators with permanent magnets.

Reply to
Bart Byers

I agree about the wood handle scales. I'm not entirely convinced about it being bronze. I dropped the image in PS and adjusted for the white paper. It could be bronze, or it could be patina. However, nobody has commented yet on the flip-open handle, which would give a 12" t-bar... plenty of torque.

Reply to
Bruce Adams

750. A screwdriver to adjust drag rod and steering rod ends on older vehicles; especially trucks.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

750: I'm not going to say elevator key.

751: For working the surface of recently-poured concrete.

752: A roman numeral IIII on a clock

753: Ye Olde Xerox Machine

754: Another specialty wrench, have no idea what it's for

755: Air hammer

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Quotation marks and specifically saying "to paraphrase" aren't enough for ya'??? :(

Reply to
dpb
750 - Looks kind of like a split handle Dzus fastener tool.

751 - Scraper tool?

752 - Numeral 3?

753 - Glass plate contact print table?

754 - Cap crimp tool

755 - Chicago Pneumatic 715K Heavy Duty air hammer (made in Utica NY) with long chisel bit.

Reply to
Steve W.
753 is definitely a contact printer. It looks like it may have been cobbled up out of existing components. The top cover/door has a hinge, which allows the user to close it part way and observe the alignment of the paper with the negative. The stand looks very well made, but not quite right for its use. Maybe converted from a typewriter desk. The inside should be painted white. The bulbs should all be the same. 754 looks like a tool for loosening the screw tops on bottles, but why the bent rod hook-hanger looking things? My suggestion is it is for gently holding the neck on a bottle of cheap wine, so the tipsy drinker has less chance of dropping it. ;-)
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have been around air chisels since the early 70's and have never heard of them referred to as jack hammers. Correctly named they are hammers or air hammers. Jack hammers are typically held by 2 hands and are much larger. Perhaps it's a regional thing.

Reply to
Leon

753 looks like a light table and more specifically one for making contact prints. Can't tell the size but looks like for 8" x 10" negatives.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon