What is it? CXXIX

This week's set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

753. The lamps and cover suggest that something goes on the glass plate and is lit by the lamps. Perhaps something goes on the glass plate under the cover and then the lamps shine onto it, something where part of the item has been coated somehow with light sensitive chemicals. I would say its for making printed circuit boards but it looks too old for that. Something to do with making plates for a printing press of some kind perhaps?
754. Looks like a clamp for some kind of scientific glassware perhaps (with the base resting on the metal extensions and the neck or body being held by the jaws of the clamp.
755. Some kind of mechanical, electric or power type chisel? Its hard to tell but there might have been an electric cable that goes into the handle at the bottom that powers it and then the trigger is pressed to make the blade/bar move in and out.
I'm sure that 755 is an air chisel with an extra long bit.
I am totally lost on all other pictures this time. Nice job RH.
______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

753 is a photographic contact printing frame. When larger negs or plates were used there was no need to enlarge, so the negs were sandwiched with photographic paper (in "contact") and exposed to the light from the bulbs in the base. It could also be called a proofer.
I'm so happy he's branching into photographic stuff... I have a hope of getting a few right !
Jonathan Wilson wrote: ...

No, it's a pneumatic connector. You're right in general, however, it's a "pneumatic hand-held jackhammer" to paraphrase...

Jack hammer? Absolutely known as an Air Chisel in the automotive business and is commonly used to cut steel exhaust pipes using a split chisel.
Leon wrote:

Quotation marks and specifically saying "to paraphrase" aren't enough for ya'??? :(
wrote in message

I have been around air chisels since the early 70's and have never heard of them referred to as jack hammers. Correctly named they are hammers or air hammers. Jack hammers are typically held by 2 hands and are much larger. Perhaps it's a regional thing.
Leon wrote:

I have been around air chisels for at least as long and if you WOULD READ and understand what you read you would clearly see that I didn't call it a jackhammer, I used the term to give the other poster an idea what it does...
paraphrase ( ) n. A restatement in another form or other words...
Now, are you satisfied yet???

To paraphrase, is to redescribe a text or passage in another form or other words.
You did not do that. You mentioned a much larger tool/piece of equipment, the jackhammer.
Ok, In my neck of the woods if you mention a Jackhammer a vision of a much larger tool that is often used to break up concrete comes to mind.
If I said, hand me that hand held pile driver, would you think hammer?
Leon wrote:

I _DID_ do that (and said I was doing it, too!) Now, you can quibble over whether it was a good paraphrase, but there should have been no confusion whatsoever that I called the tool in question itself a jackhammer but you were simply looking for an excuse to slam somebody.

Never mind.
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:36:59 -0700, dpb wrote:

How about, "Jill Hammer"? ;-)
Cheers! Rich
R.H. wrote:

750. It looks like a screwdriver whose split handle can be folded down to increase torque. 751. No idea - but that shouldn't prevent a wild assed guess, right? Might be a sand rake for small Japanese Zen gardens. 752. Part of a clock dial with Roman numerals. 753. Light table for photography. It looks like some of the socket bases are replacements. 754. Bottle cap crimper. 755. Pneumatic chisel.
750 - Looks kind of like a split handle Dzus fastener tool.
751 - Scraper tool?
752 - Numeral 3?
753 - Glass plate contact print table?
754 - Cap crimp tool
755 - Chicago Pneumatic 715K Heavy Duty air hammer (made in Utica NY) with long chisel bit.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
R.H. wrote:

753. Is a photographers homemade darkroom enlarger, the lifting cover plate is where the negative glass plate is placed. The bulbs act as the light source.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Which part does the magnification?
Patrick Hamlyn wrote:

Plates didn't need magnification the camera done that. ;-)
The negative plate was placed in the square housing and then the light switched on for a few seconds and then immersed in the developer.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You are digging a deeper hole. Most cameras don't magnify they make an image smaller than the real object.
There is not lens in the object described, therefore it can't be an enlarger.
Actually the paper is immersed in developer not the light. (which is what your sentence said). It would be easier if you just gave up! or better, admit that you were wrong. May insight be your gift.

Your first point seemed on the mark. There's no point in being intentionally obtuse pointing out a misplaced modifier. I'm relatively certain most people understood the meaning.
todd