What is it? CXXIX

Leon, you are absolutely right. Some people, for whatever reason, just never get the point of being specific. There is a much relations ship of knife to a sword as there is a chisel to a jack hammer. Just heard on the TV, one news stations said they found a blasting cap in the luggage, another said they found a stick of dynamite. Exactly what I would expect from reporters who usually have little science or technical knowledge in any field. I think you could (should) expect a little higher standard of comments in a technical newsgroup.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Leon:

Michael Terrell:

IIII is also a Roman numeral -- in ancient Roman usage, it was the usual notation. Similarly, 9 was VIIII. The preference for IV and IX came later.

If you actually look at clockfaces with Roman numerals, you will find that they do commonly use IIII for 4, even though 9 is IX and not VIIII. This is considered to look more attractive due to the visual balance with the respective numbers on the opposite side: III opposite IX, IIII opposite VIII.

I just did a Google Images search on the keywords clock, roman, and numerals. Here were the first 5 results that showed actual clocks (as opposed to a drawing of a clockface or that sort of thing) with Roman numerals. All five use IIII.

I think Leon's right.

Reply to
Mark Brader

It is always IIII on old pocket watches.

S.

Reply to
Sevenhundred Elves

Because "Michael A. Terrell" could, he/she/it opin'd:

No, not always. In fact, the antique E N Welch steeple clock sitting on my mantel has IIII for the four o-clock position. And my grandfather, who was a clockmaker and repairman, had many clocks like that. The reason is esthetics; the IIII is across from a VIII and makes the dial look more balanced than an IV would . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

The Romans were polluted by the use of the Egyptian Cubit. That is why. The Egyptians tended to group verticle lines, but not always. The inverted U was 10 a verticle line to the left is a 1 or one. So there were lots of 1's or verticle lines before another inverted U. The current (one under inspection) segment would have n number of verticle lines dividing that segment (1/28th) of a cubit.

I find it a commoners grade of math rather than that of a learnered person.

OBTW - I have a 48" tall clock that a friend bought us (wife and I) and it has some 'funky' numbers on it. And it would have been quicker, easier and fewer parts if done in pure Roman but was in low level Roman.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Mark Brader wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn

In Houston, the "on the scene reporters" like to describe the ankle deep water running down the curb as treacherous. I guess it is treacherous if you are hit by lightning while standing in the water.

Reply to
Leon

Absolutely correct but some clocks, including one I have use th 4 I's. Both versions are used.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, I had totally forgotten about it being called that also.

Reply to
Leon

Hey Pooder, just killfile this one. Trust me.

Nice to see ya in here by th' way.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

I love these posts, unfortunately I will miss the next 10 posts because I have a filter which blocks anything with XXX in the title. Could someone please repost the links without the XXX in the titles? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Steve A

The link is always

-- it's the content of the page that changes.

Perhaps Rob would consider abandoning the Roman numerals -- it's not as if they provided any *benefit*.

Reply to
Mark Brader

Unblock CXXX?

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Good idea, I'll just change the numbering, no big deal as long as I can remember to do it four days from now.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

The dynamite was found in luggage in Houston, the blasting cap at the Hoover Dam. Which is strange, because usually they have to be a lot closer than that to work properly.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

In real lift they have to be closer, in a news mans mind, no.

Reply to
Leon