What is it? CXLVIII

This week's set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
847 a whatthehellisthis. 848 no idea where this accumulator-pack comes from 849 target for some toys? for pistol for pressured air? 850 the numbers on the scale can be hardly read. Thermometer? Barometer? some device for measuring viscosity? 851 this is a whatthehellisthis. Angle meter for inside corners? 852 stock exchange ticker machine the newest model from year 2006? ehr, year 1806?

sorry, again more guessing than knowing. but i like it.

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü
848. I don't know what it's for either. The interesting thing is all I ever see in batterypacks for tools is sub C and evidently it has no case. Karl

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Just a couple this week.

848 NiCad battery pack - from ??

852 Ticker Tape machine

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner
847 ?? 848 "guts" out of a pp3 battery - 9V 849 opthalmological test tool 850 wet / dry RH thermometer 851 ?? 852 ??
Reply to
Robb

849. Location indicator to show where a target was hit at a shooting range. 850. Blood pressure gauge. 851. Angle finder 852. Ticker machine.
Reply to
Leon
847 I've seen something similar that was a guage used on saw blades. Yhis one looks a little rough for that?

848. Battery pack out of a standard 9V battery. IIRC the cells are AAAA size. At one time there was a red dot sight (for firearms) on the market that required the user to disassemble a 9V to get batteries for it. Didn't last long.

852. First thought was stock ticker. But I'm going to say it's the machine used to "punch the tape" on a early computer controlled lathe or mill. We had a few of these in the early 70's at a company I was working for at the time. Very early CNC.
Reply to
Bill Marrs

Hi Rob

848 Battery Pack to something 850 Tests CO content for furnace efficiency 852 Ticker tape machine
Reply to
bremen68

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
847 - Shelf Support

848 - unencapsulated 9V battery pack (probably NiCd)

849 - Opthamologist's device for testing for Ambliopia

850 - Thermometer

851 - Pipe caliper

852 - Teletype sending unit. [ One reel is missing. ]

Reply to
RAM³

Alexander Thesoso

According to R.H. :

As always -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

847) Hmm ... cast iron, and backside view. Perhaps the front legs of a fireplace dog for supporting logs to be burned? 848) A set of six cells (probably NiCads) connected (by spot welding) in series, and with the wires from the end terminals pulled or cut off. This should have been in some powerpack for a rechargeable tool or device. Voltage would be 7.2V with NiCads -- a bit more voltage with NiMH cells. 849) Perhaps for indicating where on a target the hit was (by staff who are down in a safety pit during the actual firing. 850) That is a strange one. The upper part is a bubble level while the lower looks like something designed to leak a substance at a selected angle (I not that the level does not appear to have a center zero). At a guess, I would say that it is some system for measuring viscosity of a liquid. 851) I think that I see the Stanley logo partially obscured, but I'm not sure.

I suspect that it is a carpenter's tool for assuring that the two sides of a roof have the same angle.

852) It feeds paper tape. It appears to have a gear and pinch roller drive to select the speed.

The head does not look beefy enough to contain a multi-level punch as would be common with Teletype punches.

The square shaft is too close to the base and other things to be used to drive a take-up reel, so I will say that it is probably for winding up a clockwork drive.

I suspect that it is for recording Morse Code on the paper tape, for retaining a permanent record to be checked against the operator's hand-written copy.

The larger and whiter metal cover probably protects an ink roller. It transfers ink to the shaft just below it, and the spring arm below that is operated by the coil on the right-hand end of the box, bringing the arm into contact with the paper tape, and lifting it into contact with the inked shaft to make markings on the tape. The terminals in the right end near side connect to the coil -- and would be connected to a relay on the telegraph line. I think that it predates radiotelegraph.

Somewhere there should have been a crank or a key for winding it up -- probably done about the time that the tape was changed.

Now to see what others have guessed this round.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

849. I think this is a frying pan whose lid looks like a target .
Reply to
Elijah.Coleman
848. Are you refering to alkaline batteries? The carbon ones I took apart as a kid were wafer shaped. Karl

Bill Marrs wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk
848. Handie battery pack sans case.
Reply to
badger.badger

Most of them have been answered correctly though I'm still trying to find a good link for the Stanley angle tool:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's a number 30D Angle Divider. From an old Stanley catalog, "Graduated on one side for laying out 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 sided work...." You could still buy one in 1972 for $11.25.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks, I got a couple of emails stating it was a Stanley No. 30, any idea what the difference is between a No. 30 and No. 30D? I didn't find much on the 30D but found some No. 30's that look just like the one in my photo.

Here's the link on put on the answer page:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

From Walter's "Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools":

30 Angle Divider Features: Graduated slide bar, pivoting wing arms for finding and marking angles. Manufactured: 1905 to 1969 Patent: Justus Traut's 10/27/1903 (design) Dimensions: 7-3/8 inches long Construction: Cast iron frame, nickeled steel blades Uses: Dividing or bisecting any angle Avg. Price: $50 to $125 (as of 1996) Notes: The blade and screw at the bottom of the frame are often missing.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks for the info, I fixed my dimension on the original post.

Rob

Reply to
W.H.