1154) Timber boring machine.
Reply to
axolotl

#1154 Timber framer's drills.

#1155 Heated cutter for re-grooving tread in worn truck tyres.

#1157 Boiled egg opener

#1159 Glass tube cutter, used for making standard lengths oof lab glassware

Reply to
Andy Dingley

1155- tire groover.

1157- I have no idea, just keep it right the hell away!

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp
1154. Hand cranked beam mortiser. You stand or sit on the plate and turn the cranks to hog out the center of the mortise which is then cleaned up with chisels and a bruzz. 1155. Looks old to be one, but it appears to be a hot knife for cutting varying depth grooves in foam plastic. 1156. World's smallest folding boot jack, or a really stupid cigar ashtray. 1157. Candle cutter. 1158. Possibly a tire installation/removal tool. 1159. Maybe a glass rod or tube cutter. R
Reply to
RicodJour
1154 The original mag base drill, before magnetism was invented...

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Coffee Mill type drill used to bore out mortices in timber frames.

And a boiler sight glass cutter, real hardware stores still have these and will cut a sght glass for you for a couple dollars.

Reply to
beecrofter

I wonder if 1155 isn't an early curling iron, perhaps even for show horse manes? I assume it heats up...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"might they call #1157.....the "Bobbit" tool/ OUCH!!!!

1154 Boring machines for peg holes in the beams used in timberframing 1156...would like to see the back if it....looks like a lemon squeezer from the pic.
Reply to
Brent Beal

I haven't been able to find one like it, but this is probably correct, anyone know what the piece is in the lower left of the box?

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

This is correct, anyone know what the notch with the small spike is for? I'm guessing it's used to remove excess glass if you didn't get a clean break, but that would require very thin glass. The notch measures 1/8" long. The patent for the tool can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

#1158 looks like a variation of the famous cat carrier:

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

I don't own this piece so I can't post a photo of the back, but I can tell you that it's not a lemon squeezer or a tool of any kind.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

1154) These are for drilling holes in large wooden beams perhaps for building large structures on land, or perhaps for building large boat frames. (There are similar tools fro drilling metal, but these have wood bits (where they have any), so thus my selection of project materials.

You either kneel on the paddle, or clamp it in place with large C-clamps.

The metalworking ones, at least, are geared to feed as they cut, picking up both from the main hand crank. The middle one in the top photo appears to be similarly set up -- but unfortuately, the details are lost in the black of the photos.

1155) I would like to see more detail of the small parts in the upper left-hand corner of the box -- but I think that it is some kind of tool for burning words or symbols into wood. At least, the shank appears to be of a soldering-iron style and I see nothing else to be powered. It looks as though the end can clamp a row of metal type -- which may be pre-set in those things to the upper right. Also -- is there anything under the triangular filler in the box's upper-right-hand corner? 1156) No clue on this one. :-)

1157) My guess here is that this is for cutting the foil around a wine bottle's neck prior to applying a corkscrew.

1158) Again, no real guess -- other than as a rather strange frame for holding something like a hacksaw blade. Not sure what the square at the end opposite the handle is supposed to hold.

1159) This appears to be for scribing the inside diameter of glass tubing prior to breaking it to length. There is a depth stop, and a sliding latch which applys pressure to the cutting wheel, but I have no idea what benefit you can get from scribing the ID instead of the OD prior to breaking it. I would think that it would not provide as clean a start to the break.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

What's a "bruzz" ? I'm curious of the etymology of this term.

AFAIK (in the UK, as a some-time working framer), wheelwrights used a tool called a bruzz, but framers never referred to it as such. The wheelwright's tool has a 60=B0 angle to the corner, the framer's corner chisel was 90=B0. I've never seen a framer use a corner chisel that wasn't such a right angle.

Do any of the world's square-cornered framers use the term "bruzz"?

Just what is it that wheelwrights do with these acute-angled chisels?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I am not going to hazard what people do with a chisel that they find "cute". It would be ungentlemanly!

A bruzz is a large corner chisel used in timber framing. There are many names:

RicodJour

I've _never_ heard any real framer refer to one as such. I don't know if this just a UK distinction, but round here the name at least is just a wheelwright's term.

Reply to
Andy Dingley