What is it? CXXIX

752 is the Roman numeral 4 on a grandfather clock.

753 is obviously an antique photocopier.... ;-)

ally

Reply to
a l l y

I have been around air chisels for at least as long and if you WOULD READ and understand what you read you would clearly see that I didn't call it a jackhammer, I used the term to give the other poster an idea what it does...

paraphrase ( ) n. A restatement in another form or other words...

Now, are you satisfied yet???

Reply to
dpb

To paraphrase, is to redescribe a text or passage in another form or other words.

You did not do that. You mentioned a much larger tool/piece of equipment, the jackhammer.

Ok, In my neck of the woods if you mention a Jackhammer a vision of a much larger tool that is often used to break up concrete comes to mind.

If I said, hand me that hand held pile driver, would you think hammer?

Reply to
Leon

I _DID_ do that (and said I was doing it, too!) Now, you can quibble over whether it was a good paraphrase, but there should have been no confusion whatsoever that I called the tool in question itself a jackhammer but you were simply looking for an excuse to slam somebody.

Reply to
dpb

  1. Both Pneumatic
  2. Both operate on the repeated explosive release of supplied compressed air.
  3. Both have 'cutting blade-type' tip
  4. Both held by a human and used to cut into things

Seems like an excellent paraphrase to use to explain an air chisel to someone who knows what a jackhammer is.

If you can't see that Leon, you don't understand one or other tool, or the English language.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

Which part does the magnification?

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

Plates didn't need magnification the camera done that. ;-)

The negative plate was placed in the square housing and then the light switched on for a few seconds and then immersed in the developer.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

How about, "Jill Hammer"? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

I think the handle is split. So it can be opened out on both sides, giving excellent torque.

Reply to
BusyGuy

751. An early form of router bit for making * V * grooves. lol
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You are digging a deeper hole. Most cameras don't magnify they make an image smaller than the real object.

There is not lens in the object described, therefore it can't be an enlarger.

Actually the paper is immersed in developer not the light. (which is what your sentence said). It would be easier if you just gave up! or better, admit that you were wrong. May insight be your gift.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

750) A screwdriver on which you can swing the handle to the side, thus allowing a lot more torque. 751) For spreading mortar or cement.

752) The curvature of the tops and bottoms of the Roman numeral suggest that it is part of a dial like on a clockface. And (unless the image has been rotated) the presence of a '4' at the bottom suggests perhaps a counter from zero to seven for the days of the week -- so a secondary dial on a complex clock.

753) For contact printing large negatives. The tiny red bulb allows you to align things without exposing the paper.

The spring fingers are designed to spread the clamp-down force over the whole of the negative and paper.

754) The gripper is about right for a bottle cap similar to that found on a ketchup bottle, however the support fingers below don't look right for that. Perhaps for unscrewing a sampling bottle from under something?

755) Compressed-air driven chisel.

Now to see what others have said, and then crash.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Your first point seemed on the mark. There's no point in being intentionally obtuse pointing out a misplaced modifier. I'm relatively certain most people understood the meaning.

todd

Reply to
todd

755 is for chipping welding beads.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Wrong. The negative plate is placed on the glass, then photo-paper is placed on the negative. The light is turned on for the appropriate length of time and the photo-paper (not the negative) is emersed in the developer.

;-)

Reply to
Unknown

Never mind.

Reply to
Leon

The same comparison could be made between an 18 wheeler and a go cart.

I suppose if you stretch your imagination and don't want or need an accurate comparison a jack hammer is similar to an air chisel, except that an air chisel can usually be pointed in any direction to accurately cut sheet metal, pipe, peen objects, cut small nuts and bolts and so on. I only see a jack hammer as a demolition tool.

Reply to
Leon

That would be IV, not IIII

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is IIII an acceptable Roman numeral IV?

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

If you missed the point, then you missed the point.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon