What is it? CLXI

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

A new set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
931 Hanger for 3-phase electrical wires. Lower left hook hangs on the messenger wire. 3 phase-wires sit in the other hooks. Wires retained by twist tie.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

930 seems to be a sieve of some kind. Maybe for a water slurry and it retains the solid material in the scoops and lets the water run out. Gold panning maybe? 932 looks like it might be a graduated medicine bottle. Each mark is a single dose of cough medicine or whatever.
Reply to
Dave Baker

930 is an old device cheap gas stations used to collect the last remains of oil cans. A can upside down in each bin would drain and be collected.

Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Not a cut away of a nuclear war head huh? LOL.

Actually having worked in a tire store when I was a kid in school I can relate to the device as many customers were pretty concerned that every drop of new oil made it into the engine when we changed the oil on a car.

Reply to
Leon

932: Rain gauge?
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

927) A tool for winding springs with the aid of a lathe.

I used to see these advertised in the back of Mechanix Illustrated and similar magazines, long before I had a lahte with which to use one.

I've never seen a proper set of instructions, so I can only guess how it is to be used. I *think* that the wire is trapped between the two bronze parts to give it some drag, and the 'V' shaped areas (rotated to correspond) would be pressed against the side of the mandrel on which the spring is to be wound.

928) At a guess, this is for clamping onto a guy wire where it passes an anchor point on the object being supported. I find it interesting that the U-bolts are actually J-bolts -- no threaded extension visible on those. Anyway, the wire passes through the curved channel, and is clamped via the J-bolts and the piece of forged steel which is captive under them. The pin with the split pin captivating it feeds through a hole on a plate bolted to the supported object. 929) An interesting form of dividers.

930) I think that it is for sorting seeds or grain to size. The grain to be sorted is poured in at the top, the whole thing is shaken, and smaller seeds pass through the hole at the peak of each to the next sorting level, so when it is complete, the upper bin has the largest grain, and each one below has a size smaller, with the smallest coming out the hole at the bottom.

931) A three-towel hanger?

932) A bottle for dispensing a medication of some liquid form. It must be protected from actinic light, hence the brown bottle, and the spaced ridges on the corners are for measuring the dose. At a guess, each ridge corresponds to a tablespoon of the medication. Perhaps a cough syrup, or some other medication.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

928 is an aluminum suspension clamp for a high voltage (probably >= 230kV). It connects to the bottom of a suspension insulator (usually attached to a tangent tower) and holds the conductor in place. When I was a practicing engineer, my company owned an aluminum foundry in Pelham, AL that made all sorts of hardware for the electric utility industry.
931 does a similar job, except that it is used for distribution lines (15-35kV) and holds all 3 phases. We made a similar product from a composite material. The ones we made held the conductors in place using an elastic strap.

todd

Reply to
todd

when i saw the other posts, and when i saw 931 is "ceramic" i wanted to post an attempt at humor... i wanted to say my guess was that 931 was a plinking target that activated a electromechanical light show of sparks and smoke.

927. my guess is it de-tensions a spring, for what i don't know 928. looked like something you drape a cable over to pull taught. 929. something for use with making log homes 930. i already saw some of the other answers, neat, for draining oil cans. my second father would've liked that one. 931. plinking target that activates a light show. 932. the ridges on that bottle look like they're used some how in either lowering it to a specific height or raising it up to a specific height, in conjunction with some other metal part that isn't shown. for what reason i don't know. those ridges are somehow related to how or what it's used for.
Reply to
William Wixon

They have all been answered correctly this week, several new photos and some links can be found on the answer page:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Heh, I ran my 55 chev. on oil out of one of those things. They worked better in the winter if you hung em next to the stove and kept the new oil cans where it was cold.

John

Reply to
John