R.H.

From Rec.woodworking

#521: Looks like a closeup of an old phonograph #522: Looks like it could be used to dress a grinding wheel #523: Dunno #524: That tool is used to set the bead / cord material on screen doors. #525: Dunno #526: Looks like a tool for removing individual shingles.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Wow. I actually recognized something.

521. Phonograph needle?

522. This is used in sewing, but I'm trying to remember the details as to how it's used.

523. Not a -clue-.

524. Ditto

525. Candlestick
Reply to
Julie Waters
525. Stamp for sealing wax.
Reply to
Canem

521, Phonograph needle/diaphragm.

522, Tool for 'fluffing' up matted power polishing bonnets.

524, Window screen spine roller tool.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

522 - grindstone dresser

523 - wire bending jig

524 - tool for pushing cord into slots to attach window screen or silkscreen fabric to frame
Reply to
Dave Balderstone
520 is a lobster measure. The new ones have the date on them.
Reply to
Dave W

521: Gramophone stylus

522: looks like the tool used to cut the holes for stitching/lacing leather. This one apparently would make holes for three paralle rows of stitching.

524: some sort of a marking tool? I could see using it on wood or leather, or with dressmaker's carbon paper on fabric.

525: Hmm. could be a lamp finial, but I suspect that it's a seal for use with sealing wax.

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

What's a wire bending jig?

--julie

Reply to
Julie Waters

Reading other people's answers to this one, I have a new theory-- it's a candlestick on one end and a stamp on the other. I.e., you put the candle in the top part, drip it onto an envelope, and then the stamp part is pulled out from the base to seal the wax.

--julie

Reply to
Julie Waters

Or it might be for making rows of holes in a pie crust.

Reply to
Mark Brader

That'll teach me to read the sizes... :-\

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Posted in the wrong thread first. Whoops.

521 is a gramophone speaker/tone arm. 522 carpet seam tool? Pie piercer? Dress pattern transfer tool? 523 climbing exercise thingy. The pegs slide in the slots, and you climb in a pseudo hand-over-hand fashion. 524 screen thingy 525 wax seal for sealing envelopes 526 "slim jim" for jimmying car doors?
Reply to
sewiv

I was thinking more along the lines of a pipe (or conduit) bending jig.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A wire bending jig is a tool used to bend wire into required shapes repeatedly. The pins or posts that you bend the wire around are usually moveable into different holes to change the shape of the wire object. Picture a board with lots of holes and a few dowels to move from hole to hole to change shapes.

Reply to
Canem

I thought of that when I twigged to the dimensions, but pipe/conduit benders wouldn't use rods, they'd use curved channels to avoid kinks.

I think it's a jig of some type, but for what... I'm not clear at all.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

#521: Gramophone (sp?) needle #522: Carpet laying tool? #523: No idea #524: Used to install window screen in frame. Screening tool #525: No idea #526: No idea but looks to be a coat hook or some other kind of hook that is anchored behind something

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:48:04 GMT, "R.H." scribbled:

from rec.woodworking

521. Old phonograph needle & speaker, the type that was wound up before 'lecktricity.

522. Tool for dressing grinding wheel

523. ?

524. Rollers for inserting rubber splines in slot for window screen installation.

525. ??

526. ?? Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Except that sealing wax is quite different from candle wax -- much more opaque and much more brittle.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

yeahbut - normally a candle was used to melt the sealing wax. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller