What is it? CLVII

A new set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

Hmm, lets see what I can guess:
902: Some kind of lock. Maybe from the US Navy....hmm. Possibly a trigger guard for a deck mounted gun?
903: A pocket knife with a built-in scalpel. That was easy. Knowing that Penthrane is a type of anasthetic, I would think this was one of those Doctor freebies that manufacturers send to promote their product. This was probably aimed at Anasthesiologists with the idea that they could have a sterile scalpel handy in case they ever needed to do an emergency tracheotomy on someone.
904: No idea,
905: An early circumcision device? Or maybe something for cutting the lead on wine bottles?
906: Creepers. For walking on icy sidewalks.
907: Winder chains for a grandfather clock.
Now to see how everyone else does...
--riverman
Damn. Beat me by 15 minutes. Shouldn't you still be asleep? Karl in Honolulu who avoids learning about icy sidewalks.

Nah, its early evening for me.
--riverman in Hong Kong

That explains it. I've got to go to Hong Kong on vacation someday. Karl
903. Gift from a drug rep to an anesthesiologist or surgeon. http://www.asahq.org/news/alert090605.htm 907. Manrikigusari. Japanese martial arts weapon. http:// www.martialartsupply.com/Weapons/Ninja_Weapons/Manrikigusari/ manrikigusari.html Thanks as always. Karl

902. I appear to have figured out the lock. NAPEC    Naval Ammunition Production Engineering Center Along with the USN I think that pretty much clears it up. It's a high security lock used for ammunition storage According to the internet, NAPEC is also the sort of standard used for high security locks and hasps used for ammunition storage. 903. Some sort of giveaway for anesthesiologist or physicians 905. Jar or bottle lid opener? 907. Originally I was going to say it looks like a locking pin, but the ends are shaped, not straight. I'd guess it's some sort of martial arts weapon (I've heard of this type of device being used).

decoding the text confirms: specs: U.S. Navy Contract 1381 Year 1982

Thanks, and also thanks to Karl for the info on the Ninja weapon, the link on the answer page goes to the same site.
Half of them have been answered correctly this week:
http://pzphotosan157-v6.blogspot.com/
A few sets ago number 888 was still unidentified, it was the orange colored wood handled tool with the spring loaded contraption on the end.
Someone left a comment that sounds like it's probably right:
"No. 888 is used to assemble the DeLaval 03 inflation (liner) into the DeLaval shell. It was my Saturday morning job for years as a boy, and I used the pictured tool thousands of times!"
A DeLaval is a type of milking machine, see the link below if you aren't sure what tool he's talking about:
http://pzphotosan153s.blogspot.com/
Rob
Just wanted to let you know how enjoyable your postings are. However, they have gotten considerably more difficult as time has passed. Used to be, I could pick up on half of them and might recognize that I'd seen a few of the others in the past and should know what they are, but couldn't remember. Lately, I haven't had a clue on most of your postings. Still enjoyble to learn new things though.

few
Thanks for the comments, I'm running out of the more obscure pieces so the next sets will have more recognizable tools. I wasn't attempting to make them difficult, just trying to keep it interesting. A couple months ago after a few weeks of not finding much, I was concerned about having stuff good enough to post, but I've had decent luck recently so I plan to keep the site going for a while longer.
Rob
The manrikigusari wasn't just a ninja weapon. http://www.e-budokai.com/articles/weapons.htm Bear in mind martial arts historys are like any other. They don't nessasarly have anything to do with what actually happened. All the Chinese chain weapons I know of are long but that doesn't mean someone didn't makeup a short one for a special purpose. Karl

http://www.e-budokai.com/articles/weapons.htm
Thanks, that's an interesting site, I just added a link to it from the answer page.
Rob

It would be nice if you could ask the person who left the comment to tell you more. I looked all over the DeLaval site, and could not find the specific model he was talking about, nor can I visualize how it inserted a liner.
--riverman

link

colored

used

A couple things to point out, here. Modern milking equipment bears little resemblance to that of fifty years ago. The old DeLaval milkers looked a lot like those made by Surge. An interesting site:
http://surgemilker.com/
The "liners," more properly called "inflations" had a rather small lip on them compared to, say, a Hinman milker (with which I'm much more familiar), so I can see how a tool like this might be useful, although I can't quite visualize how this particular tool would work, since there is nothing in the center to push against...
Jerry

I left a comment asking for more info, we'll have to wait and see if he comes back and replies. The owner of this tool was planning to visit some people who are dairy farmers so he might be able to tell us more about it also.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

905 looks like a tool to cut a groove around a wood pole about 2-4" in diameter. The two long handles would help the craftsman's eye confirm that the tool was perpendicular to the pole's axis. The slant of the teeth would help him make the wheels roll straight.
If I were building wagons in the 19th Century I'd want to cut a groove as a guide to saw the end of an axle straight and without splintering.
R.H. wrote:

904 looks like an antique rubber stamp and pad. The pad is enclosed to slow the drying and keep ink away from your fingers. The handle is wider than the stamp. That way, if you start by putting one bottom corner of the wood handle into the slot, it will slide in without the rubber getting any ink on the box.

904. (-insert your favorite nationality/ethnic group/political affiliation-) early prototype rolodex. (has just one address/phone number on the piece of wood emerging from the top) (the door on the front is a early version of a "quick tab", open the door for a peek-a-view of the info)
actually, come to think of it, could it be a ballot box for a small group, put the vote in the top with the piece of wood and take the votes out the side door.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual:
902)    Some sort of lock which requires two cooperating key holders     to open. Given the USN marking (United States Navy), I would     suggest that this may be for locking a firearms rack, so a     single individual can't free a weapon and run amok. I think     that firearms racks such as I am envisioning may be more common     in the army (long arms).
    But it may also be for securing access to cryptographic     information or devices similar to the Enigma of German Navy     fame.
903)    Interesting -- the second (removable) blade appears to be a     scalpel blade. Perhaps some kind of survivalist's knife, or     perhaps intended as part of a snake-bite kit.
904)    Hmm ... it looks as though it opens up to give a view of     something on the removable board seen sticking out the top.
    Note -- I've yet to see anything related to the images posted     here when I've gone to "Neatorama", so I've given up. I did     note that some things required Flash, and some required movie     viewing capability, neither of which I would normally have     enabled on my browser for security reasons. Perhaps some kind     of clue as to *where* in the Neatorama site we should expect to     see such things -- and for how many days -- and which browser     plugins we might need to have enabled to view them.
    Lacking that -- I will simply ignore the Neatorama mentions in     the future, and I am finding them to be irritating.
905)    Perhaps designed to wear through a rotating round object? It     looks to me as though one of those sawtooth wheels is mounted     backwards, based on the others.
906)    Not a clue, I'm afraid.
907)    The chain looks a bit short to be a chain style jump rope, and     a bit too long to be a nunchuku, so I'm not sure what.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.