What is it? CXLI

A new set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
805 hand-hold vise for fixing small workpieces

806 can´t see clearly, what is that at the end, a claw/grip or a cone?

the others ... no idea

greetings from germany Chris

Reply to
Christian Stü

Howdy!

807: light switch 809: hand brake (apparently for both sheet and rod)

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

808 - Spark plug gapper
Reply to
Rex B

805: Ye Olde Adjustable Ratchet Wrench

806: Some sort of sampling tool?

807: Looks like an ordinary square pushbutton

808: Another typewriter repeair tool?

809: The holes and slots are possibly wire gauge scales. The press part, maybe for crimping a seal over the wires...

810: Worlds worst pizza cutter

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

#805 A rather unique monkey wrench #808 Sparkplug gap setting tool?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

LOL. i just mis-read your header, out of the corner of my eye i thought it said "what WAS it CXLI" and thought someone had taken off on your weekly series with a new thing were people are supposed to guess what WERE things, like, something that had been in an explosion or a fire or were smashed to little pieces in a fit of anger, etc.

someone should start one of those. would be funny. (maybe)

b.w.

(for example, i remember once seeing a mangled ball of aluminum being held in some guy's hands, maybe like about 6 inches wide and 5 inches tall and the caption was that it was a connecting rod from a WWII era radial aircraft engine that had broke and was hammered around inside the engine till it was just a battered kinda potato shaped ball of aluminum. it truly was an incredible photo!) (anybody know that picture? do you know the url? i just tried Google but can't think of specific enough search terms to find it.)

Reply to
William Wixon

According to R.H. :

Hmm ... rather early, aren't you? I'm used to seeing them on Thursday, but this set claims to have been posted on Monday. (Although I did not see the usenet posting until Wednesday.)

Now I see a partial explanation at the bottom of the list of objects to be guessed.

Anyway -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

805) An "any size -- Imperial or metric (or even Whitworth)" ratchet wrench.

The collar around the handle selects which direction the ratchet works.

You can work with the handle at strange angles to the bolt or nut, but I'll bet that it would be prone to slip off the faces of whatever you were trying to turn if you put much force on it.

806) Looks like a boring tool for fairly soft materials -- or perhaps for ice.

The top T-handle should be pivoted so the shaft can turn in it, and the middle T-handle, when pressed down, would rotate the cutting bit in the proper direction to make the cut.

Hmm -- maybe not, blowing up the "arrowhead" shape at the end seems to show that the head pivots on the shaft. In that case perhaps it is to control a valve of some form, and the two side "ears" on the middle 'T' pivot in some form of clamp, while you turn the top T-handle. Maybe something like opening and closing locks in a canal or something similar?

807) Perhaps part of a door and mounting frame for a tape drive or perhaps a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive? The angle of the door is strange, however. 808) I've never seen one of these before, but it looks to me to be a tool for "gapping" a spark plug. The collection of feeler gauges for setting the gap, the threads in the jaw to which the feelers are pivoted hold the plug in place, and the "pecker" jaw presses down on the movable/bendable point to bend it to the gap set by the selected feeler gauge. 809) This one looks to be for clamping on the edge of sheet metal, and guiding a drill bit vertically thorough the sheet metal. The jaws of the pliers surrounding the hole will minimize burring of the metal when the drill cuts through.

The notches are probably for starting a bend in the sheet metal.

810) I *think* that this is a valve spring compressor for some style of automotive engine. It would hold the valve compressed, while you remove or insert keepers to lock it in place.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
806 This is all that is left from a shoe stretcher. The wooden side pieces are gone/missing. I'll take some pictures of one that is complete if necessary...
Reply to
Leon Fisk

Hi Rich,

You sure? Maybe a three-way switch? (grin)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On which side of the pond? :-)

Reply to
CBFalconer

It was dated Monday because that's when I started my first draft, and I forgot to change the date when I posted the set on Wednesday.

Answers for this week's photos:

805. Pivoting ratchet wrench 806. Shoe stretcher

807. Light switch

808. Spark gap tool

809. Watchmaker's tool

810. Fire sprinkler stop

Several new pictures and links have been posted on the answer page:

I found some interesting pieces on my trip, please stop back next week to see a few of them.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.