What is it? CCXI

A new set of tools has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

1177 Flywheel wrench used to rotate an engine by the flywheel to unbolt the torque converter.
Reply to
RayV

175. Slater's hook used in roofing. You stick the pointed end into a rafter or log near where you're working and use the straight horizontal edge to support the slate to be trimmed. Rob, didn't one of your puzzles from a short while ago reference this tool? 176. Fishnet making 'bob'. R
Reply to
RicodJour

1176: Concert pipe. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Nah! 1176 just has to be a roach holder.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

Yes, I posted a slater's hook a few months ago, I think the piece in the current set is an unfinished version of one. Some tools can look similar but be used for different purposes, so I thought I would post this one just to get a few opinions on whether it's actually the same tool or not, I'm guessing it is. I'll post a photo of the previous slater's hook on the answer page.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Rather a puzzling group this time around.

1173 -- Obviously a counter or indicator for something, but what purpose? Presumably something that required fairly large counts and/or fairly high precision, as it looks to indicate to six digits. Maybe an indicator for a utility meter (water or gas)?

1174 -- Ummm, you hold the knurled block, and, ummm...do stuff with something.

1175 -- Nice wide boot scraper? but the supporting pointed prong doesn't seem sufficient for such a use.

1176 -- I think this is a whistle or other blown noisemaker/instruemnt; the white portion looks suspiciously like a recorder/tin whistle mouthpiece.

1177 -- This is presumably a specialized wrench, maybe for rotating plumbing fittings with multiple lobes, such as are sometimes used on garbage disposal units and other drain line fittings. (It does appear it could also be used to seat or unseat keys holding pulleys on shafting, but doesn't look sufficiently sturdy for that use to my eye.)

1178 -- tightener for wire fencing or metal strapping used on crates?

Now to see other guesses....

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

I note that you say "tools" this time. Is that supposed to be a clue?

1173) It looks to me like a form of angular totalizer. The scale on the OD measures the percentage of a full revolution, and the two wheels in the arm count units and tens of full revolutions.

Hmm ... there is also a stop pin in the outer rim of the main disk, and the two-colored scale outside that presumably shows you where to set the pin for the next round -- which suggests that it is for something like controlling an index head or a rotary table for cutting gears or something similar.

1174) Not really sure about this. I would like to examine it in hand not just via photos. My guess is that it is for holding slim candles for lighting something like a acetylyene torch. 1175) I think that we need the original blacksmith to tell why he made it and for what. :-) 1176) A holder for a crayon or some other marker? Or a cigarette holder if there is a hole at the small end of the black part.

Or perhaps for smoking something like hashish or opium?

1177) A wrench for turning something which has a ratchet wheel. 1178) It looks as though it is for forming curves in metal strips.

Are there threads on the sliding rod for the movable curve? If so, it could be clamped to hold something in place.

1179) -- nope -- that one is for next week. :-)

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
1174 is a tool for inserting the lock strip in windshield rubbers, particularly Austin Minis, 1100/1300s, and Austin Americas. Lockstrip goes through the handle then through "diamond" shaped guide which is used to open the groove in the windshield rubber.
Reply to
Ray Field

In 1840, paper made of wood pulp and the revolving press, capable of printing 20,000 copies an hour, appeared. The device might have been to tell a printer when he had enough copies.

Reply to
Bill Rider

I was wondering if this tool was used on some cars or not, it's marked as being used to repair helicopters, but it sounds like it can be used for more than just choppers.

Once again, a hard set this week but most of them have been answered correctly, at least in general terms. FWIW, I'm not trying to make the sets difficult, I just don't have many easier things to post right now. I found some good stuff this week for the next set, a few of which I had never seen before, so hopefully everyone will find a couple of them to be interesting.

The latest answers can be found here:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

There weren't any threads, I guess they counted on friction to keep it in place.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Here's a link to a slater's stake (what I've always known as a slater's hook):

There's no point in making the puzzles easy. A nice mix of know-it, guess-it, and WTF-is-it is something to be enjoyed by all. Keep up the good work.

RicodJour

Thanks, that's an excellent link, I just added it to the answer page.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.