1043: Powder horn 1044: Upholstery hammer 1045: Level 1046: I don't think it is for ice, too small. So maybe for bulk sheets of paper ? 1047: Tire tread gauge 1048: Banding stretcher/crimper David
Reply to
Puff Griffis

#1045 Photographic level.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger
1043 Powder horn? Metal from a set of bellows?

1045 2 axis level of some sort

1046 Carrier for railroad ties?
Reply to
Bill Marrs

#1046 - Carrier/installation/removal tool for automotive batteries

Reply to
peter divergilio

1047 is a tire tread depth guage. I know 'cause I have one.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

According to R.H. :

Again posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

1043) Hmm ... perhaps an oil lamp of some sort -- with a wick held in the spring-loaded pinchers at the top?

But the location of the eyelets suggests that it is supposed to be carried by a strap around the neck. I think that it is a bit too early to be a gunpowder dispenser -- or a shot dispenser, but I'm not sure.

1044) An interesting clawhammer. Two possibilities come to mind: 1) The solid back claw is to keep the nail from flipping out of control and perhaps being lost when it finally comes lose. 2) The solid back claw, in combination with the bifurcated normal claw, can serve to hold a nail so you can start it without an extra hand being involved.

1045) A rolling-ball level. Not particularly sensitive, based on the visible curvature of the ramps going to the right and left.

I suspect that each graduation moving out from the circle represents a additional degree off level.

1046) Looks like a set of tongs for carrying a block of ice with less damage than the usual tongs create.

1047) A guess, given the markings, suggests that this is yet another device for measuring tread wear on tires. The white "toothpick" sticks into the grooves while the body hits against the outer tread, to give you an indication of how much is left.

1048) I *knew* that I should have gotten around to photographing mine and sending it in. I had it for a few years (from one friend) before another friend commented on it. She knew what it was because she had worked with one regularly.

It is designed to draw the drawstrings on a money back tight, (with the left lever) and then crimp a seal onto the strings (with the pliers handles). This is done after they have been filled with a counted amount of money. At that time, she happened to be stuck with the job of counting the concessions take from the football games at the college where she worked.

Mine is painted gray instead of natural metal color (that one looks like nickel-plated steel) but is otherwise quite similar.

Now to see what others have said, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm still thinking '46 is for carry bricks up the ladder for chimney- building, or walls for that matter.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

The guy who sold it to me said it was a battery carrier, though someone else standing there at the time thought it was for carrying bricks. I searched the web and found some newer versions of battery carriers that look similar, but the brick carriers that I found could carry longer loads. The distance between the jaws on mine can vary between 5-1/2" to 8-3/4", so I'm going to go with the battery carrier answer for now.

The rest of the answers for this week's set can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.