Nitrous Oxide and tubing cleanliness

I plan to run N2O into the air/fuel injector of my Aprilia SR50 Ditech scooter at 5 bar, around 75 PSI.

Will it blow up--that is my question.

If it will, I will try propane. If not, I'll work it out and do a nitrous run on this tiny scooter.

The air line is contaminated by "spooge", an oil-water mix generated by the onboard injection air compressor operated by crankshaft cam and processing engine air which is mixed with an oil mist at the reed valve intake, after the throttle body. "Scootnfast" has outlined a spooge filter; I have one and the engine runs cleaner and better with it in place. I drain my filter every time I have a SLOP (Sudden Loss of Power). I should do it more often than that.

I get 96 mph driving hard, and well over 100 mph on cruises. Synerject invented and provides the components for Aprilia's Ditech impementation of the direct air injection technology, which atomizes gasoline to 8 microns. I hope to build a direct air injection airfcraft engine one day, because the economy would be world-class; aircraft economy is a real big factor in air travel for light air and some for experimental, not so much for ultralight.

Sure, if I ran O2 in this line, it would explode very likely, but how "strong" is N2O as an oxidizer at 5 bar?

If I disassembled all lines and the injector body, and cleaned out the oil traces, would N2O injection then be safe? You see, if I did that, I could run an onboard oilless electric powered air compressor and have some fun switching between air and nitrous oxide.

Always some fun to be had around here.

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
DGoncz

im not following, if you run air through the fuel injector where are you going to introduce the fuel now?

Reply to
erik litchy

My Focus will do 95MPH without Nitrous. Maybe more, but the law takes a dim view of 100+MPH.

What is your mileage?

Does this approach scale up to larger vehicles?

snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu wrote:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Well, the nitrous by itself won't do anything. It is used as an oxidizer to burn extra fuel. You need to also inject more fuel, and the nitrous/fuel ratio needs to be carefully controlled.

Automotive systems use controlled pressures and fixed orifices to maintain proper ratios. Your small engine is going to need a really small orifice. Here is a chart with orifice information:

DT

That is up to you. How much HP / nitrous are you go>

After reading the web site, you will see that the ratings he has for the jet sizes are at 800 psi this rating / flow will change with bottle pressure. One thing that is sold is a bottle warmer. Also as the pressure /flow changes for the nitrous so does the fuel requirements.

Reply to
Stan Weiss

Hello Doug,

N2O is not merely an oxidizer, it is a monopropellant; it can act as fuel and oxidizer simultaneously, though it must be heated to a fairly high temperature to do so. Yesterday's explosion in the Mojave (three dead now) appears to have involved a large tank of nitrous oxide.

All that being said, 75 psi is much lower than the 500+ psi often used in rocket motors.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

I'm assuming you mean 96 and 100 MPG, there...

Anyway, when you introduce nitrous oxide, you must also introduce more fuel. The N2O breaks down into N2 and O2, and that O2 is gonna make you lean.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

If you want a good idea of what nitrous can do, take a look at today's news. Yesterday at Scaled Composites (the group that launched the first private space ship) over in Mojave, CA. workers were testing a nitrous injector when something went WRONG! Now three are dead and three others are in critical condition. That's some nasty stuff in the wrong conditions.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Very commonly used in motorsports, though in very much smaller bottles!

Contemplated nitrous in my time, really wanted a supercharger, cash flow never did quite allow.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Riiight. And lean mixtures knock, right? So, um, that would mean a holed piston crown? Yuck. I only have one SR50 piston and it's already inside the engine! Maybe propane is the thing to try; at 135 psi at ambient temperatures, it is easily regulated to the 7 bar design pressure, around 75 psi

Thanks to Dennis, Eric, Jim, Louis, Stan and Terry, too,

The SR50 atomizes fuel to 8 microns (revoulationary surface to volume ratio) by co-injecting air at 7 bar through an injector designed and marketed as a component by Synergect, who recently opened a pant a few hunderd miles south of hear in Norfolk. It's amazing. My mileage is 96 driven hard, over 100 mph at cruis (near 50 mph) , the muffler is always clean, there is no visible smoke at all, even on cold idle, and it uses much less oil as well.

The problem is the engine air with oil mist is compressed to run the mixing injector which fires only when all ports are closed, so there is no unburned mixture scavenging and associated waste. Well, Aprilia forget that water vapor doesn't compress without limit. I call the result "spooge" and just drained an ounce today from my miniature Norgren filter. That was first suggested by a user called Scootnfast on the AF1 Aprilia board where I am user name DGoncz. See the board for more. I was thinking a reed valve on the injector air compressor crown would allow fresh air in and then there'd be no spooge, but how would I keep the injector compressor piston lubed properly then? You see, this engine has two pistons; there is a small one for injector air, and the usual setup for combustion and power.

Here's Synergect's definitive paper on the system:

From

at the bottom is

Doug Goncz

2007 Smithy Super Shop

P.S. Nice to be back here in rcm.

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz

Re: my post earlier today.

Well, look what you get when you post to rcm at like 1 AM. A repetition of the OP. Poor form, that.

The Synergetc link was new, though, right? (checking) Yes, that bit was of value.

Doug

Reply to
DGoncz