Nitrous Oxide Hydraulics?

At work we had a hydraulic accumulator with low charge pressure. The place is pretty bad about expecting someone to know how to do a job and expect them to do it without training. There is a pressure switch set to 80 bar and if the precharge pressure is below that, the hydraulics won't fire up and will give a low accumulator precharge error.

The person sent to charge the accumulator filled it with oxygen. When the pump was turned on, and higher pressure built up in the accumulator and blew up. The fitting blew off the charge end of the accumulator and shot out high pressure fire & exhaust. The bladder rubber got blew into the block at the other end of the accumulator. Luckily no one was injured. Although the oxygen and nitrogen cylinders have different fittings on the bottle, the kit to charge the accumulators had fittings for either one. I learned years ago that nitrogen was used for accumulators because air and oil had the potential of compression ignition, that evidently applies to oxygen in the nitrogen too.

Perhaps BottleBob can invent nitrous oxide injected hydraulic units that work something like the Paslode cordless nailers! :-)

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Roger:

How's it going - I hope you're having a Happy Thanksgiving. But those poor turkeys are paying the price for it, eh? :)

Anyway, here are some Nitrous tid-bits.

Nitrous is considered non-flammable, but is an oxidizer since when broken down it has 33% percent oxygen whereas the air has only 21% oxygen. Nitrous in the form of tanks of pressurized gas over liquid in car injection units develop about 800 PSI. The pressure goes down appreciably when the last of the liquid it evaporates.

Nitrous nailgun? LOL I don't know much about nailguns, but I think there are three kinds, compressed air, butane, and explosive. Putting nitrous in a compressed air nailgun would probably be overkill and spit your nails right through what you were trying to nail. Nitrous in a butane nailgun would probably work. Nitrous in an explosive nailgun probably wouldn't even be enough pressure to make it work, as I seem to remember that they are 20,000 PSI devices.

I also don't know if it would work in your hydraulic system. I experimented with using nitrous in an accumulator (rubber bladder - pressure tank), but it didn't work out so well. Nitrous can get real cold, like -130 degrees when it does it's phase change from a liquid to a gas. I'm not sure a rubber bladder can repeatedly take that sort of temperature and remain flexible.

That -130 degree phase change endothermic reaction cools the intake charge and makes it much more dense. A significant part of your horsepower increase is due to the temperature, and the other part is due to the extra oxygen content of the nitrous.

Reply to
BottleBob

I don't know if they realy made nitrous oxide but the nitrogen filled accumulator bled down below 80 bar (1160 PSI) and got filled with an oxygen bottle. As I understand it, if you were to use air to charge the accumulators, a little oil contamination and compressions in the 2500PSI range can cause a compression ignition just like a diesel. I guess that's what happened. Those in the area when it went off said it was very loud and shot out flame that melted some metal, wires, and pressure sensor controls.

I'm glad it didn't go off while the workers were there filling it up. The way it sounds, as soon as they turned on the hydraulic unit and it started to build up pressure, it exploded.

I thought it would be interesting if a person could take an accumulator with hydraulic oil at a low pressure and during a pressing operation, ignite an air/fuel mixture to boost the pressure to the needed range. Imagine the jaws of life without needing a motorized hydraulic pump and having more available speed. Something like an air to hydraulic converter but using the fuel/air for power instead of an air compressor or motorized hydraulic pump.

Did you have a good Thanksgiving BottleBob?

I totaled my car by hitting a deer. The car runs and drives fine and only needs body work but they claim the cost to fix it is more than the car is worth. Since it's not 8 model years old, it's supposed to be state law that the car has to get a salvage title.

Anyway, my black friday will most likely be spend car shopping. I expected to get another 60k+ relatively trouble free miles out of my car and the insurance is giving me $3750 for my cars value. Any recommendations of reliable economy cars that I can get 60K+ more miles from for $3750 or less? I'm looking at things like Corolla, Prizm (what I had), Civic, Accord, Camry, or ???. If I can go another 2 to 3 years without a car payment it will greatly benefit my finances.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Roger:

Why yes I did, thank you. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving as well.

Now that's a real bummer. Were you as least able to get some venison of it? I hit a deer back in '64 with a '63 Impala when driving through Arkansas or some other desolate state. I was going about 60 at night, then I saw antlers and eyes staring at me in the middle of my lane... then BLAAAM. Slowed down to about 20 instantly.

You might try to go to a police auction where they are getting rid of impounded drug bust cars and the like.

Reply to
BottleBob

---------------- Someone should "drop the dime" to OSHA or or the safety state agency. It is only a matter of time until someone gets killed. The complaints do *NOT* have to be signed.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

How about this one.

160mph??? Splat!! Practically vaporized the deer. Surprised there isn't more damage to the car.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stawicki