Quietest Hydraulic pump/motor

Guys, I'm mostly a pneumatics man, with enough hydraulics knowledge to cobble up working stuff, but not a good feel for everything that's out there.

Can any of you tell me what's the quietest hydraulic motor/pump type?

I'm assembling a "line shaft" system of hydraulics to operate several machines off a common power source in an environment where electricity becomes impossible. We cannot bring together all the right characteristics for a hazardous location electric motor in a single motor to meet all of the requirements of the environment. So, instead, I'm going to build up a pump supply that feeds all the machines - one or all at a time via selector valves - kind of like an old line shaft setup. The electrics will be outside the building.

I'd rather it be as quiet as possible. I know there are snubber/suppressor/muffler rigs for gear pumps, but my experience is that gear motors make a lot of racket, too.

I don't need a lot of pressure or flow. The largest motor we're replacing is only 1-1/2HP.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

OH... forgot to add. All the motors we're replacing are 1740rpm. It'd be nice to get that speed out of the slave motors, rather than having to belt/gear up.

Thanks, LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

IME, piston-style pumps and motors are quietest. At least at the RPMs you need. Most of the noise in those systems seems to be generated at fittings and valves, where the flow gets disrupted. Keep track of your hose lengths, as a hydraulic system dumps a lot of power in long lines that are too narrow.

has a good list of formulas for determining optimum hose size. The big rule is to keep fluid velocity as low as practically possible. Cuts down both heat and noise. Also keep in mind waste heat and how to deal with it effectively. Besides the need to keep the fluid cool, long hoses will act like radiators and will heat your shop.

Match your pump displacement to your motor displacement 1:1 and spin your power source at 1740 RPM. Can only drive one motor at a time. Your motor will spin at 1740, minus leakage losses. Since piston pumps and motors have the lowest leakage, it should be reasonably close.

Reply to
B.B.