Black Oxide?

Just received a shipment of parts. I'm familiar with the brownish-black "black oxide" method of coloring steel, but these came in glossy and coated almost like a black anodized aluminum part... But not as durable as either anodizing or oxide...

It's not paint... It's more durable than that or even a sharpie marker...

Any clue what the difference is between methods of "blackening" the steel?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Our parts always came glossy, almost "waxy"... then we switched vendors and got the dirty, brown, crappy black oxide that comes off on your hands and clothes. The difference appears to be the "sealer"... or lack of sealer on the brown parts. Caswell sells their regular penetrating sealant and a new acrylic "non-oily" sealant.

Reply to
David Courtney

Reply to
RoyJ

Sounds like Electro Coating. Basically a THIN paint process that applies the coating using electrostatic spray or dip. Depending on the material it can be a good finish or a crappy one.

Reply to
Steve W.

=============== Take a look at

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Maybe... But it was 230 lbs. of small parts. Not likely that they went through all that trouble on small parts.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

How about Iron Phosphate. It is a harder black conversion coating, which when oiled is VERY shiny and quite durable.

Reply to
clare

That sounds like what I know as black oxide. The glossiness is due to a sealant applied after the oxide treatment. There are several variables to control (temp, concentration, time, cleanliness), besides the basic chemistry, so it's not unusual to see variations. One of my customers put in their own line in order to control the process themselves. They use the Penetrate Ultra Liquid on this page, after a very thorough degreasing and cleaning routine. As advertised, the parts come out a very dense black.

Ned Simmons