Special Coolant-Thru Adapter Question - ER Style

Based on 04808-C on the following page:

Anyone know of a similar product that has a smaller shank? I have a low-load, coolant thru the tool critical application to quote and this seems to be the answer... Except I don't want to make a 1.250" hollow spindle just to hold this tool if I don't have to.

Alternately, has anyone ever used 04808-C before? If so, is the shank in the back solid or does the coolant have the ability to flow out the back of the tool? ...I may just buy one and investigate that way, but thought I'd ask first...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Suggest calling their 800 number and asking. Their web site is pretty pathetic. The page you reference seems to indicate the top of the shank is tapped 3/8" NPT so you could install a plug. The bit about the side coolant feed with 1/8" NPT is rather unclear as to whether it's standard equipment or an option.

Reply to
Pete C.

I agree with you about the "plug" in the back... And I think the 1/8" NPT is standard on that particular model only... But we shall see!

I actually called them first... VERY good supplier IMHO. Spoke to one of my main contacts there and he told me it won't work for my application... But that's never stopped us... :)

Figured someone here might have some real-world experience with one.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Joe, maybe I'm confused, but those parts appear to be for a staionary ER holder, IOW for holding a drill bit or other tool in a lathe turret, and having through coolant for the stationary tool.

I can understand why they suggested it might not work.

For a drilling operation, you need a Deublin coupler. Since you make your spindles anyway, the basic need is for the spindle to be hollow, sealed, and fed from the rotary coupler.

deublin.com

What did I miss?

Reply to
Half-nutz

Hadn't considered that... Seems logical now though... Might not be balanced for spinning...

I'm checking that out now.

Could be that *I* missed something.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

For a mill, it looks like a completely useless product. The toolholder goes into ... a collet? ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I _know_ that I've seen rotary coupled, coolant through shank small ER collet systems and collets in Europe... But that's no good, since I can't remember where. Sorry :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Fahrion or Haimer are making the nicest collets and tool-holders in town. and

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Did you find a solution Joe?